Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Flurry and The Fly

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Ann, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    When I went to bed last night, I was prepared for a night of strong thunderstorms, and the usual doggie angst that goes with that, but not the drama that ensued. All the dogs sleep in my room, in assorted dog beds scattered around with one or two or three usually on my bed. Flurry always starts out there for a cuddle while I read, but then departs for her favorite bed next to mine.

I climbed into bed with my Kindle and Flurry snuggled up. Just as I got comfortable, she sat up straight, looking at the ceiling in wide-eyed terror, ears, flat, every hair standing on end. I looked up, and there was a large fly on the ceiling. It took off and so did Flurry, scared to death. You'd think it was a bat. I dutifully got out of bed, got the swatter and slayed the dragon, while Flurry watched and all the other dogs barked wildly -- the fly swatter being as alarming as the vacuum. They all went back to sleep and I thought she'd settle down, but no. She paced the room around her sleeping roommates, jumping off and on furniture, suspiciously eying the ceiling, clearly convinced that there were more evil flies where that one came from. After 30 minutes of this, I got up and dragged a crate from the other room and in she went for the night. I hope she forgets by tonight!
    Sigh. Who says Shelties are brave? :hide

Margi, Hanne, ghggp and 8 others like this.
  2. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    My senior Shih Tzu became terrified to the point of shaking when there was a fly in the room. We couldn’t figure it out as it did start late in life and our Vet suggested maybe he had been stung by a bee and the fly buzzing brought it back? The bad part is you can kill the fly, but there is no explaining that to the dog! lol

ghggp, RikyR, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Too funny Flurry!!!! I bet she does not forget tonight!

ghggp, RikyR, KarenCurtis and 3 others like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Last week I'd taken the dogs outside, got ready for bed and was sitting on the bed prepared to watch a movie. Finnie was beside me all comfy, Piper at the end of the bed when I heard a flutter around my lamp. A moth! (I have a very strong aversion to them, and that's saying it mildly)
    I jumped out of bed and looked for something I could use to hit it with but saw nothing...then it disappeared. I turned on the overhead light and went to the other side of the bed (essentially trapping myself).
    All the while Piper and Finnie were wondering what the heck is happening???
    Suddenly the moth appeared and I ran screaming from the room, scaring the bejesus out of the dogs!
    Both dogs ran into the bathroom to hide while I tackled (and screamed a few more times) the big miller moth.
    It took me a few more minutes to trap it, suck it up in the vacuum and then say a prayer that it didn't get out before I went to find the dogs. One call and they came running, quite happy to see that the crazy person I'd turned into was gone:ROFLMAO:!
    Amazingly, they showed no fear of returning to the bedroom...I'm sure I was affected far more than they were!

Hanne, ghggp, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    :yuckyuck:yuckyuck:yuckyuck:yuckyuck

6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    :yuckyuckI always make my husband get the scary spiders. Yes, I wake him up. My dogs don't even see the bugs!

Hanne, Ann, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  7. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I like moths

Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I guess I need a husband to help kill spiders at my house!!!

KarenCurtis, Hanne and Ann like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    OMG ... what a night!
    Poor Flurry, poor YOU!

KarenCurtis and Ann like this.
  10. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Aw poor Flurry. Bailey will give her fly catching lessons. Bailey chases them around the house. She has caught and killed many. The biggest issues with that is if it's by the glass sliding door, she'll smash her face against the glass trying to catch it and sometimes she eats them. :ick

Hanne, Sandy in CT, Ann and 2 others like this.