Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Focus!

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by romeosangiovese, Dec 13, 2008.

1. romeosangiovese

romeosangiovese Forums Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    I need some advice on teaching Romeo to focus on me. He's easily distracted and can get quite excitable. At home, I have no problems. It's more outdoors where there are people and dogs that he seems to have problems focussing, especially when there are female dogs around that he's had a chance to check out. He used to hump dogs (males, females) but has improved greatly and now seems to only hump females (spayed or not). Once he's sniffed the bum of a lovely lass, he'd only pay attention if I'm actively waving something yummy in front of him. He'd be so intent on mounting her.:rolleyes2:

His trainer has been trying to get me to put a plastic prong collar (he calls it a "training collar") on Romeo claiming "I would really see a difference" and that it will show him that I'm the leader/I have control, and that Romeo will be so much more focussed on me and to let the collar do the talking. Oh and how he sees that Romeo's attitude is changing and getting more 'rebellious' (this by the way was based on ONE incident (today) when Romeo started to show signs of stress/fear and barked and dodged attempts to hold him when he tried humping a classmate and she's quite dog reactive and snapped near his face). The classroom, if you can call it that, is also REALLY SMALL, smaller than a bedroom!

I'm against putting one on Romeo because I think that's the easy way out and it'll potentially damage our relationship and the trust he has in me. Shelties by nature are also intelligent and highly trainable and he's shown that he CAN focus on me (albeit at home) so anything physical seems unnecessary. To be honest I'm getting quite pissed off with the trainer and this collar thing. I feel slightly pressured to use it (all of his other students do and strangely NO ONE has questioned it?!?). I'm not planning on competing in obedience or agility and I'm sacrificing sleep and my weekends and doing it all so Romeo uses his mind, has a job and has some fun, so if he's not going to be having fun and has to undergo the stress of wearing the collar and all, I'd just drop out, forfeit whatever I've paid (I signed up for 2 years and it's been about 4 months only) and figure something else out. Principles man! I'm sticking to my principles!:mad:

Slight rant there, sorry! :winkgrin: ANYWAY! I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on developing focus on the handler outside of a familiar environment (I am aware that I have to train everywhere and anywhere)? Or tips on how to desensitize him to a female dog?? This is probably impossible coz it's like going against his very existence. Would neutering him have any effect on his focus? I know neutered males still hump females. I should mention that Romeo's 8 and a half months' old now and I'd think well into his adolescence (re: raging hormones).

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    There have been some great posts here (check Behavior and Obedience threads) on just this issue. I would most definitely trash the prong collar idea!! Shelties do not respond well to that type of negative training and do much better with positive training that will focus Romeo's attention on you. You need a new trainer! I'd start by looking around and finding one that is familiar with Shelties. A Sheltie breeder, if you know one, may be able to direct you to one.

There are also some excellent books on positive training (some discussed in these theads as well) that could be helpful.

You'll see this suggestion in other places here, but the first thing to do is to get Romeo to focus on you. Take a high value treat; get his attention with it, then hold it between your eyes. Count to three once he is looking at you and REALLY focused on you, and then give it to him, using a word at the same time that you'll use every time you do this, such as "here" or "look". Repeat this frequently, since it is the basis for all the other training you'll use. Then, when he does something you don't want him to do, you can give him the command and get his attention. Good luck and forget that prong collar!

3. elaine2004

elaine2004 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
    Positive training !!

Glad you knew not to use the pronged collar. I'd trash that trainer. Deffinately not great. I don't think any animal should be trained using cruelty. You have proved yourself to be more intelegent than the trainer !!:wink2:

4. romeosangiovese

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    Thanks guys!!
    Romeo knows the "watch me" command and I've been handfeeding him his meal in the morning (he has to reeeeally look at me for a couple of seconds which I increase incrementally until it feels like a staring contests!) to reinforce the fact that looking at me = food = feel good! = look at me more!
    He's great at home and he always has his eye on me (except when sleeping of course!). My problem might be that this doesn't translate to focus on me when we're not in the house/outside of familiar places. I'm ramping up the "watch me" training while we're out on walks at road junctions. Hopefully that'll help (him, not me! My neighbours all think I'm nuts I'm sure). I'm also going to feed him his breakfast outdoors, maybe in the park after he's rested abit from his romp at the dog run, on weekends and do the same attention work thing. Maybe it's a matter of proofing the command/action everywhere and anywhere?

A colleague of mine, who happens to be the german shepherd club president here suggested that before allowing your dog to do anything, have him look at you first (using the "watch me" command) so that it will eventually become ingrained that he has to look at me (for instructions) before embarking on something (eg. meeting/greeting other dogs, hopefully mounting and humping a classmate).

I'm not going to let that trainer pressure me into putting that collar on Romeo! I'm looking out for new trainers already. I doubt this will be the last time he's gonna push me towards the collar. :mad: The problem is that there aren't that many positive trainers here, esp not many good ones who also know a thing or 2 about canine behaviours. The established and famous ones here all use choke chains somewhat along the lines of the Koehler method. I need to move to the US!!! sigh.

5. Katherine

Katherine Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Charleston SC
    I feel for you, as my Snap is going on 9 months. I've got him in an intro to Rally class now which is also in a relatively small space... and he's the only dog under a year old in the class.

His relatively young age and tight quarters are a big challenge. It has helped me to get him to class a little early and to walk around to "speak" to each of the others. Despite the fact that Snap's focus deteriorates during the hour, I think that the continued exposure to the others in tight quarters is good.

I agree wholeheartedly with the others about the collar mentioned.

6. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I echo everyone else's opinion, ditch that trainer.

One thing suggested to me while taking CGC classes was to go over to a strip mall and walk, stopping near all (most) of the doors to the stores. As people walk by give him the watch command and reward when he looks at you. Also reward ANY time he looks at you outside the home.

Clickers are the best for reinforcing the positive behavior in this instance because the feedback in immediate - click for yes and treat. Just keep your time short, especially if he gets nervous quickly.

Exposure to the 'watch' command outside the home is really your next step, not a prong collar.

7. Esmiles04

Esmiles04 Forums Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2008
    Maryland
    What everyone has said is great advice. Maybe you can try it slow with a high value treat. So gradually try getting him to focus on you with distractions. It's tough, but I know you'll get it!

8. romeosangiovese

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    I've found another trainer for Romeo! And I'm pleased to report that she uses 100% positive methods only! She doesn't even use leash tugs. She's also studying canine psychology and studied under Jean Donaldson.

I've been working on the "watch me" command outdoors and have found that the only time he gets totally distracted and seems to zone out is when he's managed to sniff a female. It's like she had him at 'hello'. He'd continuously try to get to the female. If he didn't go near enough to take a whiff, he'd be fine.

Boy, won't this be an uphill battle! Sigh.