Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Food Dispensing Toys?

Discussion in 'Toys' started by take4roll10, Mar 28, 2011.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm a little disappointed in the Kong Genius. I got Lexi the bowling pin one for Christmas and just handed it to her (no treats in it) and she ripped off a big chunk of it. So now I'm too worried to leave it in her crate with her (that's why I got it) because I think she'll rip pieces off of it and eat it.

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Yikes!!! I hope Miko's gums aren't sore.

If she chewed a chunk with no treats inside, then I wouldn't leave her alone with it.

Bailey is not a chewer, so thankfully she has never chewed any of her treat dispensing toys. Even though she's never chewed one, I still won't leave her alone with a treat dispenser. If the treats roll under furniture or beyond something, she would have a fit and will try to squeeze herself under something to get it or she'll bark and whine. I'm afraid she'd injure herself trying to get it.

3. nbrard

nbrard Forums Enthusiast

We had the exact same problem with Mikos, he chewed off the top! They were rated for chewers but it sure didn't stand up!

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Product review- I got Birch one of the new Dog Treat Mazes from Nina Ottoson at the dog show these weekend. It is a plastic space ship looking things that has holes on both sizes and a maze inside that the dog is suppose to work the food though.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?f...Product_ID=3037&ParentPage=whatsnew&aff=86978

I got the small one- which is red and yellow.

It was kind of a pain to stick the food though the holes. It held about 1/3 cup of TOTW on each side. First night it took Birch about 25 mins to empty it completely. It wasn't too noisey except for when he banged it against the wall. He quickly learned that hit it and pawing knock the food out and it really flew out if he put his nose under it and flipped it over. He had alot of fun. Yippee!

Second night(tonight), it took him a grand total of 4 mins to completely empty it. He just hit it really hard with his foot, muzzle or flip it over and everything fell out. Boo.:( Well atleast it took him 3 mins to eat then normal. I tried the bigger TOTW adult kibble same thing. NOt sure if the large would take longer but the small is way too easy.

For a Nina toy it isn't too expensive but beware if your sheltie is really food motivated it won't keep them busy for long. Back to the drawing board.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Oh bummer. I was really hopeful when you said it took him 25 minutes the first time.

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Finally found something that takes Bailey longer than a minute...an empty 1 gallon water bottle. :lol:

Of course if your dog is a chewer, this won't work and you should always supervise.

Oh and it's very nosy.

7. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    That's not good! Hope his mouth is ok! :(

8. Mikos_Mom

Mikos_Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Oh he's fine!! :lol:
    Just goes to show you #1. how determined he is... #2. how dim he is. He was hurting himself and still wouldn't give up on getting that 1 last measly treat out of there.
    Nope... my Miko isn't the brightest sheltie out there... but he might be one of the goofiest!! :rolleyes2:

9. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    :smile2:
    After the dog treat maze failure, I got Birch a tug-a-jug as I had a gift card to Petco. It looks like we have a winner!. He is still playing with it after over an hour and has about 1/4 of the cup left in it. He even needed to take a water and potty break and went back to it.

I could see he was starting to get alittle frustrated with it but then he would spin it hard and 3-4 pieces would fall out and that would keep him going. I think he is figuring it out because he is now putting his feet on it and hiking it like a football or spinning it like a top and getting more pieces out but it is so random he doesn't quite know what he did.

OMG as I'm typing. he picked it up and is now swing it around the air by the rope. He is getting so mad. :lol: Arghh the video camera is dead. Why!:mad:

Tug-a-jug by premier Day 1-2 big thumbs up!