Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Forging

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Piper's mom, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I had Finnie in a Rally fun match today and he did really good (we would've gotten a 96) but he's got so much exuberance he forges and then I get dinged for a tight leash. Piper was a forger too and took me until he was 2 1/2 to get him to heel properly. Does anyone have any tricks that help to get them to stay in heel position? I know it's better to have a dog that's excited rather than bored but I just wish he'd slow down a step or two...it's such a fine line, if I speed up too much he gets too ramped up. I'm too slow he'll get bored! Seriously...they just want to go go go lol.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    finding the right pace is a challenge when you have more than one dog and they are different sizes.
    we did a lot of turns to keep the dog in the correct place.
    Destin and Jocu recently seem to have forgotten how to heel. we did a lot of just a couple steps then cookie. Destin seemed to remember pretty quickly and I haven't worked Jo too much recently. really no one has gotten much in the way of rally or obedience. Agility is next weekend so we've been putting the focus there:fl

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sounds like a good plan by adding in more turns in training to make Finnie focus.
    I had the opposite problem where a slight lag off by a half step!

Never a dull moment when training! I have enrolled Liam in another CGC class. Hopefully, giving him the winter off to mature mentally and physically will help.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    The trainer that I met with on Thursday had me do the few steps, then treat (boiled then baked hot dog bits) mentioned and during the trail walk does lots of the turns to get them back in step. As they mature and get better, she stops, has the dog alone do the turn to return to position, but that is WAY off in the future for us.

Brodie is horrible with forging, chokes himself throughout the whole walk and man does my arm ache when we walk. Kooper will always start out forging but settle quickly, not Brodie! We have a long way to go with obedience before I can start doing training with him that I want to.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm really beginning to think that Shelties are just a challenge at competitive obedience lol (my trainer with her Shepherds doesn't seem to have this issue). Also, having a Sheltie with a lot of drive (which is good) is challenging at getting them to take it down a notch. Even Piper who is excellent at heeling and stays at my side still, after all this time will take an extra step when I slow down and then back up a step when I halt.
    Finnie is getting it but it's a lot of 3 steps halt, 4 steps halt, side steps, pivots, backing up while heeling etc etc etc...
    He's really come a longggg way even in the past 2 months in his heeling and I'm sure by beginning of July he will be better than he is now (I'll be entering him in his first Rally competition).
    One thing that surprised me the most though yesterday at the Rally match was how unaffected he was by all the dogs and people. He wasn't nervous at all and even being in the ring didn't bother him (and yet a few days ago I walked to a local insurance broker to pay for my insurance for my car and took Finnie, he whined the entire time we were there and was looking at the door for his escape) I had great focus in the ring. There was even a huge Golden Retriever he made friends with who was crated beside us (I'd left Piper at home, all one on one time with Finnie).

Sandy in CT likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Focus isn't the problem as much as his drive is strong and he doesn't quite yet understand heeling yet I think. Yes your right Gloria, it can be harder to get them to move faster than to correct forging.
    Hopefully Liam does better this spring, I know I was very impressed by Finnie's focus and composure when we took a 6 week class. He handled the distractions and wasn't bothered by other dogs or people.

Our next competition is less than 2 weeks away now (crunch time for Piper)...just one more leg to get his Utility title and then we'll be doing doubles to get his OTCH X (and then his Masters, hopefully).
    Only thing is these competitions and matches are ALWAYS on my weekend to work, yesterday I was up at 6 am and worked till 11 pm. By the time I went to bed I'd been up for almost 20 hours! All in the name of fun:ROFLMAO:.

Caro likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I think your right Calliesmom, I need to figure out the right pace and I think that'll come as he understands heeling better. Right now, if I go faster he goes faster lol. I think I need to talk to him more when heeling to keep his attention when doing a turn or change in pace etc (especially with Rally). He's a good dog who is really surprising me with his maturity (better than Piper was at his age), everything will come together in time.

Good luck in Agility next weekend! Make sure you get videos (I'll try to remember to get someone to video us too)!

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL

yes, I have to walk faster with Cran than Dixie but he's larger so his stride is longer than hers. An observer told me at a trial that she was in obedience and saw how she did (he was in rally and wasn't observed) that I should take smaller steps with her and only a little slower but I can't remember if I actually did that or not. she had some other words of wisdom that I wrote down somewhere- she was showing in conformation but had done lots of obedience and was willing to share.
    Destin seems to be almost as focused as Cran so he's doing pretty well. Jocu has been jumping up while we've been trying to heel. not sure where that came from as he's never really done that before- Dixie did when she was younger. and then eventually stopped doing it....
    It's hard to get the right pace when you only go a few steps at first. it's good that the young dogs won't have to be ready for a while yet. Cran will hopefully have 2 rally trials in July so he just needs some refresher work.
    hopefully we'll get videos of everyone- I am still behind as I have agility trials from Feb and Mar to post about....

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb

I think we figured it out today...I need to increase my stride (length of my step) but keep the same pace. It seemed to help at class today, kept him focused (other way I was too slow and he bored easily) and in step with me. If I increase my pace he does the same lol.
    Going to mat time this Saturday (I'll have the building for an hour) and I can work on their heeling. The trial that's 2 weeks away is in the same building, Finnie is entered in Pre-novice and while I don't intend to get the title (just ring experience) I still want him to do good. Piper of course is entered in Utility and Open.

Caro and Calliesmom like this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    sounds like a good plan- hope that the practice goes well:yes:

Piper's mom likes this.