Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Freedom!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Darren, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Little Monty is still very timid away from home with bigger dogs and strange people shouting or running. If he hears/sees something he doesn't like he panicks and just runs. Luckily everytime he has done this he has been on a leash so he's easily caught. He is getting braver but due to this I can't risk him having off leash walks just yet.
    Today though I managed to find a nice secluded spot away from people and traffic so he was finally uncliped and set free. He did so well and really enjoyed exploring all the animal noises and strange smells on his own. When we were done he recalled perfectly so all went well. I'm putting his first real taste of freedom down as a 5* lol
    Monty16.jpg

JacqueZ, KarenCurtis, RikyR and 9 others like this.
  2. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    That's terrific. He gets a little freedom and you build trust, nice all around. I'm glad it worked out.

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    He is simply adorable - what a scenic area to romp in. Glad it was such a success. Just as a caution though, so many stories of spooked Shelties running off. Make sure you have high value treats with you to practice off leash recall. Some people use an "emergency word" like "COOKIE" and train that word with fab treats, so they will come every time.

We've had a couple of our seemingly very stable dogs get scared and take off (luckily not too far!) so just be aware of that possibility. Eli is a candidate to do this for sure.

JacqueZ, ghggp, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  4. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Thanks Sharon, I'm very nervous of him running off which is why he has never been let loose. He is good with his recall now but I still wouldnt trust him in a busy place or anywhere near a road. I took him into the middle of the wood before letting him off so if he ran I had a mile either way to catch him before meeting civilisation. Not the best plan but I wanted him to have a little freedom lol. I dont think he will get another one in a while as its way scary waiting to see if im going to have to chase him haha.

I really love the idea of having an emergency word though, thanks for that! I'm going to work on that from tomorrow as hopefully an extra bit of security!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    JacqueZ, Sandy in CT, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  5. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    He did very well! Thats a good foundation to start on. Cookies all around for the good dogs.

ghggp and Darren like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    wow - really nice to read you made a try with a little freedom to Monty with such great success :yes:

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I must say I would never allow my Liam off lead as he is very timid and scared of everything!

I allow two little girls to walk him so he can be better socialized. But, being the overly productive mom I got him a GPS collar.

https://get.whistle.com/whistle-gps...al_order_confirmation&utm_content=bn&discount

It helps me not to get nervous when he is out of my sight. It updates ever three minutes. Just a thought.

KarenCurtis, Ann, Darren and 2 others like this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I understand you really well Gloria :yes:
    I would be terrified too if Minnie wasn't so well balanced

Minnie is so lucky that she can run without a leash every day
    on our morning walk here both in the small town we live in now
    and when we stay in our cottage 100 m from the beach.

Should we meet others with a dog, she will immediately be on a leash
    - fortunately she is so skilled and quick in her call :hugs

KarenCurtis, Calliesmom, Ann and 3 others like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Have you considered a GPS tracker? We have several at our place.

10. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Thanks everyone, Im not as brave as I made out haha. Monty does have a GPS tracker just in case he manages to escape from me. I new I had to do that after the first day when somehow managed to escape out my kitchen window (luckily the yard was locked haha).