Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Friday the spay day

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Lexi, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Lexi

Lexi Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    My girl will be spayed on friday morning. It took me a lot of time to finaly decide it because I fear of complications and after my other dog died in an accident I'm very protective of my dogs. And I'm a pessimist by nature..
    I live in my home with my parents and the dogs are mine, nobody else helps me with them. We don't have a fence around the house and other family members aren't good at keeping my girl safe while she is in heat. They don't understand how serious this is. Thats why I decided there is no other way for when I will get my job and won't be able to take care of them full day. I made an appointment and told at home the news and all hell broke loose. I argued strongly with my dad few times, he is saying I will operate a heatlhy dog that will maybe die in the operation and it will never be normal again. He even said nobody does it because 3 friend of him that are hunters have intact dogs. I don't know in which world he lives I see mostly neutered dogs. I see I have no support at home for this and I'm fishing for some supporting words here because I feel horrible:cry:.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Ugh, I'm sorry your parents are giving you such a hard time. Spaying prevents a lot of medical problems and you're right, when a dog is in heat it's not fun to deal with and can be really scary if your dog is going to wander off. Both of my girls are spayed. They had no complications from their surgery and the biggest problem was keeping them calm until they healed! They both felt fine when I brought them home that day!

ghggp, Lexi and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    even inside a fence is no guarantee when a girl is in heat- but if no one but you is keeping an eye on her then it's your decision to not have to deal with the potential aftereffects- like an unplanned litter of puppies......

ghggp, Lexi and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    That's awful Lexi that your parents don't support you. Your doing what you think is best...your parents are a different generation and perhaps they didn't "fix" a dog like people do today. My last dog (a Cocker) wasn't spayed until she was almost 7 and it was emergency surgery because she had developed Pyometra. Explain to your parents that the more heats a female goes through she can get Pyometra and you have NO warning. It's an infection in the uterus and can kill a dog very quickly! I was lucky I noticed the discharge and got her to the vet (on a Friday no less) and the vet rushed her into surgery minutes later. If I'd waited even a day she could've died...that and almost $2000 later but she was healthy after. I tell people who have girls about the risks of not spaying.
    Good luck and hopefully your parents will understand.

ghggp and Lexi like this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    How awful for you, it's your decision. I know it's hard sending any dog into surgery, but after reading the stats there is no doubt for me that desexing is right, esp for females. You want your dog to live a long and full life and the research shows spayed females live 26% longer than intact females, so no contest really.

I know I posted the link to the research recently, will have to dig to find it. Not sure how impressed your parents are about research or they are like so many of the older generation who are more inclined to do something (or not do) because that's what Joe Bloggs and their mates do. But the research was of 40,000 dogs so pretty darn big.

Piper's mom, ghggp and Lexi like this.
  6. Lexi

Lexi Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    Thanks to all of you for the encouraging words. My dad made me feel so bad about it but there realy is no other way. We survived two heats and I could see they just don't get it that even if at that moment a male dog isn't outside you can't keep her outside alone for 15min. Yes, I came home and she was alone outside, you can immagine how schocked I was. My dad even said he didn't know she was in heat and we told him every day but he just doesn't understand he never had dogs I don't know.
    I'm getting more and more anxious about tomorrow. I'm affraid something will go wrong and than they will say it was my fault and not help me. :cry:

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Lexi - Sorry you're going through this too, it's hard enough to make the decision

- I know you've read my old thread about all my worries when I had to make the decision with Minnie.

I have never regretted - it was the right decision, just do it with the best conscience.

I will think of you tomorrow :fl

Lexi and Piper's mom like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I just don't understand how your family can be so unsupportive! You are making the right decision and I can not express it better than many have already done. Other to offer my support and encouragement. I feel so bad that you have to go through this stress.

All my shelties have been fixed. I never regretted it! It is the responsible thing to do unless of course, you are a breeder.

Lexi and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    It is terrible that your family is being so accusative and mean. You are doing what is best for your dog. Your dad is obviously not thinking of your girl as anything more than 'just a dog'. I wouldn't trust him to do what's best for your Sheltie, that is your job. I hope the transition to your job goes smoothly for everyone.

Lexi likes this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    YOU are doing the right thing. It is really VERY RARE for there to be any trouble with a young dog being spayed. I used to be a vet tech so I have seen many of these surgeries. Please try not to worry. Your girl will be home soon and probably act like nothing has ever happened. I support YOU!!!:hugs

Lexi likes this.