Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

From Four to None....

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by DaGrinch, Oct 8, 2016.

1. DaGrinch

DaGrinch Forums Regular

Feb 20, 2012
    Western MD
    It's been a long time since I last posted anything. As usual, Life got in the way. I was on a new job, which went from part-time to full-time plus I had the four girls to take care of. Unfortunately, in the years since I was last on, all four of the girls have gone to the Rainbow Bridge - with Sasha being the most recent, this morning.
    Jessica, our Sable, didn't make it out of surgery back in 2013. She had developed some gall bladder issues and when the Vet opened her up, he found her liver was nothing but a heaping mess of nodules. Probably due to her 2 times a day script for Phenobarbital. I told him to not even wake her up.
    Gina, our Old Soul who wouldn't walk on slick surfaces, passed away last Thanksgiving just hours after having a normal dinner and going outside. 10 days earlier we found she had Lymphoma. The Vet gave her a month, but she only needed 10 days to make the trip to the Bridge.
    Ginny, who stole my heart with all her progress over the last 4 years, was diagnosed with a thyroid issue the same time Gina was diagnosed with Lymphoma. Ginny had a growth on her neck which got bigger over the months and then surprisingly started to shrink, we thought. It shrank on the outside, but eventually made it difficult for her to breath. She passed away 2 months ago.
    Sasha appeared to have a seizure or TIA about a month ago. But, she also seemed to come out of it with only minor issues. She seemed to sleep a little more and wasn't as playful. We went camping this past Thursday and last night she started to get sick; vomiting, listless and pacing. I stayed up with her until about 2:30 this morning and then my wife took over for a couple hours and then I got back up. Around 7:30 this morning, Sasha acted like she wanted to go out, which we did. We walked for about 5 minutes in the campground and she then started acting a confused of what was going on. I got her back in the motor home and she went into a seizure. I got my wife back up and told her we needed to get to a Vet or animal hospital. While I was getting directions, Sasha passed away.

Our hearts are as empty as our home will be. As we dwindled down to three, then two, then one furkid, I found it more and more unusual. I was used to being surrounded by eager eyes and wagging tails. I told my wife after Gina died that I needed a break when all were gone. It hurts too bad when they pass. But, there will be a new life in the family in February, a granddaughter. And I told my wife the granddaughter will be able to come visit and play with the "doggie". It'll be a year or so, maybe a little sooner. But, it will be a Sheltie and she better like to go camping.
    Thanks for allowing me to share this.... Only people who have become as attached to their furkid(s) really understand.
    Larry

2. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    They aren't with us long enough. It is so hard when they go. So sorry for your loss. They are so precious, nothing is like a sheltie imho. I know saying goodbye is gut wrenching. I hope another angel comes into your life soon.

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    oh, so sorry to read about your and your wife's loss of your beloved fur kids.
    I can not imagine how to move forward after losing 4furkids in such a short time, I really feel with you.

I seemed to lose one is so heartbreaking that every time I find it hard to see how I get on, but a tiny new fur baby has been my rescue every time.

I also hope that a new baby will find their way into your hearts.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I am sorry, so much heartache, it really has been an annus horribilis for you, losing the 3 girls within a year.

But I am so glad you were able to rescue these girls and give them a wonderful life. They were really blessed.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Larry, I can't imagine losing all four of your precious girls in such a short time. The pain of losing one can be overwhelming. I'm sending hugs to you and your wife, and wish you comfort in your new granddaughter. A Sheltie puppy will brighten your life too...it's hard not to smile at a puppy. They are the best therapy for loss.

tesslynn likes this.
  6. DaGrinch

DaGrinch Forums Regular

Feb 20, 2012
    Western MD
    Thanks to all for your thoughts and hugs.
    Ann, I'm not sure I can do a puppy. When we adopted Mocha and Jessica 11 years ago, our intent was to adopt a male and female, both about a year old. But, when Pam at PSSR let the female go in the pasture, I took one look at how she was running around and told Pam, "She's got too much energy for me. Where are the seniors?"
    Sasha was adopted at the right age for us - she was about 3, was housebroken, knew basic commands and was full of life. I guess we need a clone of Sasha. I haven't said anything to my wife, Sarah, but I figure I'll start looking in the Spring. That seems to be a good time - Life Renewed.
    I also see where you have lost one recently, too, Ann. Our hearts go out to you and everyone who has lost one of their buddies. We all share more than just being in love with the breed.
    Larry

7. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    As other's have said there aren't words to express feelings about your loss. It's heart breaking. We lost our 13 year old in June at that alone was crushing. Losing a pack is not something I can imagine.

We had started looking when we knew Bailey was sick as his companion Katy, as we expected didn't do well as an only dog. We also didn't want a puppy and we thought that limited us to Sheltie rescue, which is where our fist 2 came from. However, thanks to some wonderful fellow Sheltie owners we discovered rescue was not our only option as we weren't finding any available dogs that were matches in our area. We discovered breeders often have dogs of a variety of ages that need rehoming as well. Some are younger dogs that don't meet show standards, others are older retired show dogs. I wrote tons of emails to local breeders and even those who didn't have dogs led me to others who might. We brought home 2 year old Annie at the end of August.

8. dogcatmom02

dogcatmom02 Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2014
    york,pa
    I am so sorry for losing your babies so close together. We lost 2 in a year. It is so hard. We now have 2 more sheltie babies. They really did help. I still miss the 2 that went to the rainbow bridge terribly. In time, I hope that you find a sheltie to love just as much as you loved the 4 that you lost. Take care!

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I am so sorry for your losses. Thinking of you during this difficult time.

10. towerboy1313

towerboy1313 Forums Novice

Sep 5, 2016
    Sorry for your heart wrenching losses. Still grieving for our beloved Sydney who passed in August. It gets a tiny bit more bearable each passing day.