Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Fruit or Veggies instead of store bought treats?

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by BryanAndLarrysMama, Jan 30, 2020.

1. BryanAndLarrysMama

BryanAndLarrysMama Premium Member

May 28, 2019
    My boys LOVE love love little pieces of carrot or thin apple slices as treats. Probably about a third of an apple (shared between the two) per day. Anyone else going this route?

TheDailyPainter, Wendy C and ghggp like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have - my boys love them both...
    Carrots sticks are sprinkled on their meals and apple slices once a day as a treat.

BTW-LOVE your avatar of your cute boys!

Wendy C likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I do an all raw diet for my boys that I alternate with a dehydrated raw I buy and I add lots of fresh veggies. I tend to stick to ones low in sugar (broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce...yup think they're part rabbit lol among other veggies) I do give carrots and apple but both can be high in sugar so not too much of them. My guys love their veggies (I make veggie cookies too using puréed baby food and oatmeal...they love them).

Wendy C likes this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    My dogs LOVE carrots - but they do contain a really high amount of sugar. Green beans are good - not much in them but they do fill up a belly. I give treats, but chewy types - and try to use ones that are US manufactured with US proteins. I avoid ALL China crap. More expensive but I feel better about it. If you search, there are a few treat recipes that have been posted here on SN that you can make that are tried as true.

Wendy C likes this.
  5. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Cooper loves carrots, he now sees the peeler and comes running! lol Sometimes he gets a wee bit of my banana or blueberries and daily he gets his breakfast with a spoonful of pumpkin purée.

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes for sure. Carrots, banana, apples, broccoli, green beans, all in small pieces. They love it all and it's not fattening. Shelties as a breed can become quite porky if you don't watch what you feed them. They are "thrifty" little dogs.

Hanne likes this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Whole carrots and carrots cut into pieces are fine as treats
    - they usually come out again as pieces :winkgrin:

We just have to keep us from tearing them,
    this will cause the dog to absorb the sugar
    Minnie hates carrots but love cabbage?? Spidskål.jpg
    She gets this every day for dinner and she loves it

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Thrifty indeed! I buy broccoli slaw and for their 'snack' they get some of that. They don't care that it's all veggie, they just want something (I feed them 12 hours apart).

9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Yes, the carrots don’t digest very well, it just makes Shelby's poop more inviting to her

We use pretty much any fruit or veggie we have in the fridge (lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, apples etc.) as treats. We share ur banana’s every morning. Shelby doesn’t care, as long as she is getting something she is happy.

Hanne likes this.
  10. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon's absolutely favorite foods are blackberries and tomatoes.