Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Fur for ages

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by JacqueZ, Aug 3, 2018.

1. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    This spring as I went to replace our dogs shampoo I decided to give the furminator shampoo and conditioner a try. It didn't seem terribly impressive as I brushed them dry...but now...I feel as if Honey is shedding four years worth of fluff that just never felt like coming out before. I got three piles from just her front legs...and she's got super short leg hair! I don't honestly know how that much fur could have been on her legs period! (and I've combed more out since then)

The other day I brushed and deep cleaned the bedroom carpets, I had a 13 gallon garbage can full of the hair I pulled out. And I brush those a few times a month, so it's not like it's been building up that long!

I can only imagine that Honey feels better than she's ever felt during summer if I'm getting so much more off her than normal.

Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I know exactly how you feel!
    Yesterday I brushed both Baron and Beau.

I got at least a shopping bag full after I brushed both of them.
    I could not believe the amount of hair that came off them! I was astonished at how much hair came off Baron's legs! All that short hair filled up the brush after only a few strokes. Maybe it is the season for heavy sheading? I will give them a bath next week. I like to give them a good brush out before I bath them.

Thank goodness I have Pergo floors so they are easy to clean! Just have to make sure I get the dust bunnies before Liam does! :nailbiting:

Sharon7 and JacqueZ like this.
  3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    LOL, every time my girls go to the groomer (which is every few weeks) they come home looking as though they've each lost at least 5 pounds! Which is impressive since they each started out at under 15 pounds to begin with......

Hanne, ghggp, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I have that same problem Gloria! But it's getting better...Finnie's not so fascinated with dog hair anymore, he's too busy carrying his toys around now lol.
    I can easily get a bag of fur from my guys and if I don't give Riley a good brushing at least twice a week he gets matts in his fur, he's got a very fine coat. Piper I can give a good brushing once a week and he doesn't look like I brushed him at all lol...at least no matts, he's got a much rougher coat. Finnie who knows...it's getting longer though lol.

ghggp, Sharon7 and JacqueZ like this.
  5. JacqueZ

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I'm lucky that honeys coat is rough as well, she hates being brushed and it's a struggle that needs lots of chicken every time. Mango has fine ears, and I am forever cutting mats from them.

Luckily we have wood floors for everything besides the bedrooms...at one point when it was just Honey I thought I wanted to change that...time has brought much wisdom however!

ghggp likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I would think that Piper gets more mats as Finnie is using him as a chew toy!!! :ROFLMAO:

JacqueZ and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Or no fur at all the way Finnie pulls at it:ROFLMAO:. Poor Piper doesn't even correct Finnie so I've had to start doing Piper's job of it lol.
    Piper now goes upstairs the minute I'm out the door for work...he needs his space lol (I've tried to remind Piper of what a brat he was as a puppy but he doesn't agree with me:yuckyuck)

JacqueZ and ghggp like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have the same issues with Liam terrorized Beau! I have started to beak up rough play!

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. JacqueZ

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Honey won't ever play with Mango unless we are there. She needs to know that we're watching and will step in when it gets to much, because both of them can run away with it. The worst is Mango grabbing Honey's tail to keep her from getting away if they are chasing. And Honey never really corrects her! I do like the fact that their roughhousing really loosens Honey's undercoat though! There's always another handful of tufts sticking out for me to grab when they're done.

ghggp likes this.