Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Fur lose

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Tamara Tinsley, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Tamara Tinsley

Tamara Tinsley Forums Novice

Jul 12, 2018
    In the last couple of weeks we'v moved, and to save money we changed dog food, gradually, from Pro plan to benefuls.
    I don' know if it has anything to do with it, but one of our sweet girls has dry flaky skin and her fur is falling out.
    She's 6, so I don't know if it has anything to do with age or food.
    Can't be location, we only moved 3 minutes from the old place.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, it certainly can be your food. A move would not bring on that kind of coat change. Beneful is one of the worst foods on the market. I'm not a fan of Purina either but it's a step up from Beneful. I would get her off that food and get a good fish oil supplement for her diet. If you don't see improvement, please talk to your vet.

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    It could have something to do with the food - she may be allergic to one of the ingredients in Beneful that isn't in Pro Plan. However, it also sounds like the symptoms of a thyroid problem, and she's the right age to develop hypothyroidism. Shelties seem to be pre-disposed to this. There are other members on this forum with more experience with thyroid problems that can give you more details.

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    I agree with Ann and Caro. I would change her food to something higher quality like: Fromm, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild... just to name a few. Of course gradually transition over the course of about 2 weeks. If you see no improvement then, I would suggest a vet visit to test for allergies, low thyroid, or cushing's disease. Best of luck! I hope it is just a food intolerance.

corbinam likes this.
  5. petdoors

petdoors Forums Regular

Jun 19, 2018
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  7. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes check the thyroid. Sometimes its a process of elimination. Lil' Lady had thyroid problems,
    the meds are cheap and they do work.