Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

FYI, NJ Tick invasion

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Pam, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi, I read this today and just wanted to send an FYI for people around NJ who may do herding, or train on/near farms. Maybe nothing to worry about but I think I will not take Beau to any sheep herding classes until I know more. This has nothing to do with the normal tick situation in NJ (and btw apparently Frontline is not considered to work well here for that, sigh, as I poste in another link).

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/03/invasive_asian_livestock_tick_nj.html

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Every year we hear about some new deadly tick or form of tick-borne disease. So frightening. I used to love to walk my dogs in the woods but don't do it any more. This is why I love winter.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's a scary story...
    I know where I live (large city in the suburbs) it used to be uncommon to have a lot of ticks here but every year they're telling us how bad the ticks are and we used to never have deer ticks here but now it's not uncommon for people to get Lyme disease! There are times in the summer when I come home after work (I'm in and out of my vehicle about 20/evening) and I find a tick on me...disgusting!

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks Pam for posting this...
    So very scary!

5. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes thanks for posting. I am hearing of more humans with Lyme Disease too. We live
    in a subdivision but we have deer here. I worry about Lil' Lady and us humans.
    I it is so very scary. One rude doe pooped all over the driveway. Two years ago one
    pooped on my patio that has a cover.

FYI on bird poop, they carry diseases also.