Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gabapentin users?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by shelee, Nov 19, 2020.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My heart goes out to you! You seem to be doing everything you can to help sweet Missy and have received wonderful recommendations from our best experts here on the forum. As they offer such great feedback to you, I just wanted to add my support. My seniors were also on Gabapentin. One of my Sheltie had pailful bone Spurs on his spine! It did help with pain. Good luck to you and soft pats to dear Missy!

2. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017

I just reread your post and you said you found the capsules easy to open? Oh my I am having the worst time opening the capsules to split the 100 mg in half. My vet wanted to try 150 mg 3 times daily and I can't get the capsules to open well, I squeeze it flat sometimes and then if I do get it open the powder is all over the place and no way is it split anywhere even for 50 mg. How did you get yours opened?

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    It wasn't easy, and when I did, trying to figure out how to measure half the powder was impossible. I twisted them to get them open. But after a few attempts at measuring half I gave up and just used a 100 mg dose. All of mine did fine. I would ask your vet if you can do either 100 or 200 mg. I think splitting them is just too difficult and imprecise.

ghggp, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  4. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    Well I am sorry you had so much trouble, but I am so happy to hear that it was not just me! Thanks for the reply.

ghggp, Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  5. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    ghggp, Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    This is a great idea. I get my dogs' Urisidiol for gallbladder from Wedgewood. I had no idea they could compound Gabapentin. Well worth investigating! All you need is a prescription for them that your vet calls in.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    When my Logan was very ill and needed special medications I used this pharmacy for a cough suppressant prescription: Diamondback Drugs, phone number: 866-646-2223.

They might be able to help for other drugs and dosages as well!

Piper's mom likes this.