Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gavin keeps me up at night

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Cindy, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

So I have a fitbit alta which tracks my sleep. Looking back, about 2 weeks ago my sleep amount and quality went down by around 20%.

2 weeks ago I reinforced the ramp that allows Gavin to come up to my bed (before he mostly used it to go down after a short snuggle at bedtime). Now he is up and down all night...seriously like up once an hour, down once an hour. Now during the day he manages to not move for hours at a time :( Before he hurt his leg, he could jump up to to the bed via an ottoman but he only did it like once a night....

I love that he wants to come up to the bed (and yes, he is a little bed hog) but the lackof sleep is killing me!

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Geez...come on Gavin, if you want your walks you gotta let your mom get her sleep!
    I know I like to cuddle with the dogs before I go to sleep, Piper first and then Finnie. Finnie loves his cuddles but wants to sleep away from me and that's great...Piper on the other hand is content to just lay beside me and let me pat him forever, he'll flip onto his back while I rub his belly and fall asleep!
    As much as I love this I can't sleep with him so close! Being single has its advantages, main one of course is having well over 1/2 of the queen size bed to myself and I'm not about to share my side with the dogs:ROFLMAO:!
    I guess all you can do Cindy is love that he's able to go on the bed much more (he misses you I guess) than he was able to before, even if it wakes you up lol.

ghggp likes this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I know, I feel so bad complaining.... I know it has to be the reinforced ramp being more stable for him to go up. And I totally want him to be able to go up when I am not home (and he will use it when I am home in the evening to go up and down..no jumping down for him!). But the waking me up bit totally sucks! I feel him jump on the bed if I don't hear him. And the jumping off the bed I often gear hear well. I guess I need to start exercising more so I sleep more soundly?

Caro, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Is it normal for him to be up and down all night? Perhaps he's restless or hungry? I've taken to feeding Piper and Finnie 12 hours apart so their last meal is at 10:30 when I get home...doesn't affect their poop schedule and they sleep really good. Perhaps a small meal before bed would help him sleep better?

ghggp likes this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

He doesn't pace or anything. He just goes to the dog bed at the foot of me bed. Doesn't go into the bathroom to lay on cool tile. Doesn't lay near the door on the pergo. Doesn't whine asking to go out.. Last night I left the bedroom door open for him and it didn't change anything. when he is restless he whines at me to get my attention. I think he just is reveling in his ability to go up and down.

ghggp and Sandy in CT like this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    he might think it's cool now and in a little while when it's not a novelty anymore, he might go back to the old routine.....:fl

ghggp likes this.
  7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

one can hope....

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    It is probably just an habituation :wink2:
    your subconscious is probably still afraid of something happening to his leg.

9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

last night was better..he didn't go up and down all night, or I slept through it :)

Sharon7, ghggp, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    see it was just a new thing- back to regular routine:yes:

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.