Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gavin welcomed me home today with

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Vomit... all over the living room!
    Now, Gavin mostly will have diarrhea a few times a year but vomit i super rare.
    So rare, that the mini wet vac I got for the cat vomit hasn't been used since she passed. Until today.

Now, with the handy web cam I can re-live him getting sick.. at 4:03 PM.
    Now if it was his breakfast, that is an awful late reaction (8 hours after breakfast).
    Nothing was disturbed at home, so I have no idea what he could have gotten into.
    The beach was Sunday, so if he drank too much seawater he would have been sick a lot earlier (he did take a tumble and did get some seawater in him).

He seemed fine this morning..we went on our little walk around the block as normal.
    Supplements are usually an evening thing, so morning was just kibble.

I hope he is OK....no dinner tonite for Gavin.

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Poor Gavin! Let's hope this is a one time thing. Was there any undigested food in the vomit or just bile? Perhaps just an upset stomach? Hopefully he's feeling better tomorrow! Keeps us posted.

Hanne likes this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    poor Gavin - yes, a web cam is a good thing - Lisa said the words :yes:

Wendy C likes this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Agghh....
    vomiting again at midnight, mostly bile since no food. A very small amount of diarrhea.
    maybe from eating some of the vomit from 2-3 PM? That would make sense with the times... 9 hours from ingestion of whatever until vomiting. Gave pepcid A/C.

Poor Boy

he really wants to sleep outside so I will let him and leave the back door open. usually he ends up coming inside to sleep in my bedroom anyway.

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Poor Gavin!
    I sure hope he is better today!
    If not a vet visit may be in order.
    I certainly hope there was nothing in that seawater that caused this issue.

Virtual hugs to you both.
    Keep us posted!

Wendy C likes this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Hope Gavin's tummy is feeling better this morning. Thinking of you both!

Wendy C likes this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Sorry to hear this, Cindy! I hope Gavin has settled down and he's better this morning. Sending him pats and good thoughts!

Wendy C likes this.
  8. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Pets and wee kids it’s so hard to see them ill when they can’t say how they feel. Hopefully Gavin will feel better soon. Take care.

Hanne likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    How's Gavin doing today?
    If he's not feeling better Cindy try cooking him some chicken and mixing it with some canned pumpkin, equal amounts of both. Feed it for a few days. When they get an upset tummy you need to give it a rest, especially considering his age. Then slowly start feeding him his regular food (don't give rice, zero nutritional value and almost no fibre and ground beef is too fatty).

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Gavin has been off food for 24 hours (I always do this for diarrhea or vomiting),
    At this point, if it was just diarrhea, we would be good to go.
    But it's not. Last vomit was 2:15AM (he had 3 events within a few hours like he did at 2-4 PM).
    Nothing since then, although he did have a messy poop (not diarrhea, looks like it got squished).
    Water has been limited to little bits at a time. Gavin has been standing by his food/water bowl for over 5 minutes as a hint, now he is laying there (never done that before!).

If he is calm I will leave for work around 9, monitor via webcam (think I need to move my bedroom cam to my bathroom as he tries to hit the rugs if he can), and come home early. If I can, no more food until I get back. Water rationing in small amounts. Otherwise it is small amount of canned pumpkin or baby food to see if he can keep it down. If so, I can add in some chicken. I also have some royal canin K/D low fat wet food from the 'been in sweden less than a day' emergency vet visit that needs to be used up as well. If he keeps vomiting we will go to vet. Its just weird with the long amounts of nothing (8-9 hours) between episodes.

very tired......

Ann likes this.