Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gavin's dotage

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    we are having mostly good days....I am greeted when I come home by a happy old man :)
    he loves his weekend outings, and is eager for his stroller walks. and he is quite the snuggler in the mornings and evenings. We will probably continue to have difficult days interspersed among the good days. The pooping is still an issue (he tends to step in it as he circles around dragging his bad leg) but he isn't really falling down much. And his poop is of the soft serve consistency (it is messy to pick up), which has me perplexed as his food is the same as always.

IMG_7888.jpg IMG_7896.jpg

Chris, Ann, SheepOfBlue and 9 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    That face...❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Have you tried adding pumpkin to his food or perhaps a probiotic? His gut bacteria could still be off from when he was sick. You can also get pumpkin powder if he doesn’t like pumpkin.

Ann, Sandy in CT, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    I do have pumpkin I can add..its just that usually adding pumpkin gets him from the runs to mooshy poop. But mooshy poop to good poop is just his kibble. Not that I have anything to loose.

he does look pretty content in his wagon, doesn't he?

Ann, Sandy in CT, RikyR and 4 others like this.
  4. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    He does look like a very contented senior citizen, You are taking really good care of him. Please give him a pat on the head and a treat for us.
    Your pictures always make me smile thanks for sharing them with us. :)

Ann, Sandy in CT, ghggp and 4 others like this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    I want people to know that a senior dog can still live a full life :) I think most people with older dogs that are slower, disabled, etc leave them at home. We have our bad days, but the good days are plentiful and Gavin is soo worth it! I wish that instead of people talking about how great it is that Gavin has a wheelchair and he gets out and about and how their previous dog could have used one, that I would see people with their older dogs with carts and chairs. Gavin shouldn't be the exception.

Ann, Sandy in CT, ghggp and 7 others like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Gavin's adorable. Yes i agree Cindy, it's so worthwhile to make sure the seniors still have a full life. It was critical for Brooke to have the stroller her last months. It would have broken my heart to leave her home, and yet the other two dogs needed their daily walks. I know she really appreciated being included.
    It's obvious from the photo that Gavin also appreciates his cart.

Ann, Sandy in CT, ghggp and 4 others like this.
  7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Gavin is precious and so very blessed to have you giving him every chance possible to fill each day with as much joy and life as he can handle.
    Trini

Piper's mom, Ann, Sharon7 and 4 others like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Just beautiful pictures to be cherished! Gavin enjoys every moment with you!!!
    Have you tried Slippery Elm? It has helped Baron with his loose stool!

Piper's mom, Ann, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  9. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Love the picture of Gavin in his cart!!!! He looks SO happy!

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    its quite funny how quickly he took to it. He gives off the 'I am the king of the world, you may worship my wonderfulness' kind of vibe.