Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ginger cookies for nausea/car sickness

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Piper's mom, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I’m planning on making these cookies for Blueberry tomorrow and thought I’d share the recipe. Having a dog that gets carsick is no fun (Blueberry throws up every time) and having to give a Gravol isn’t alway possible but having cookies around is always easy!

***Ginger is well known for ability to sooth upset tummies, relieve nausea and help with motion sickness.
    It’s spicy aroma and health promoting benefits are mainly due to special phytonutrients known as gingerols.
    If possible use fresh ginger, it’s more likely to have more active gingerols in it than powdered

Ginger Biscuits for dogs
    ————————————

2 Cups Oatmeal flour (ground oatmeal)
    1 Egg
    2 Tbsp. Grated fresh ginger
    1/8 Cup Honey (optional)
    1/2 Cup Applesauce

*To substitute dried ginger for fresh, use about 1/4 the amount of dried ginger as you would fresh.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Place egg, applesauce and grated ginger in a bowl and whisk together.

Add oatmeal flour and knead to form a dough. If the dough is too dry, add additional applesauce one tablespoon at a time, if too wet add additional flour one tablespoon at a time.

On a lightly floured board (or counter) roll dough to roughly 1/4” thick. Use your favourite cookie cutter and place them on a cookie sheet.

Bake until the surface of cookies are golden brown, about 25 minutes.
    Turn oven off and allow treats to cool inside the oven completely before removing to cooling rack.
    Store in an airtight container.

trini, Calliesmom, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Will try these!!!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Those sound good!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    They do...good to keep on hand for ourselves as well. I know I prefer ginger Gravol over the regular one and if a cookie works then that’s even better yet!:biggrin2:

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    These cookies are really good! Made a batch, baked them and they’re in the dehydrator drying. Blueberry goes to get titered tomorrow morning and it’s about 30 minutes away so we’ll see how well they work. 34DA1F2C-0753-42ED-BF8A-7ABEB60A0E0E.jpeg

Sandy in CT likes this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Did you taste them? If no dehydrator is available, just keep baking them a bit longer?

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I did taste them Sandy and they’re not bad although if I was making for me I’d probably use a regular flour. I use oatmeal with the dogs. They had a nice fresh ginger taste, not harsh or anything just fresh. If I’d left them in the oven until it cooled as recipe said I think they would’ve dried ok.

Hanne and Sandy in CT like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Thought I’d mention Sandy that mine were quite hard after drying (I tend to dry more so they keep longer) and Blueberry didn’t want to eat them although I did manage to get one cookie in her. I’d suggest to bake a bit less than I did and then just freeze until you need them.
    On the plus side we drove over 30 minutes to get to the vet this morning and she didn’t throw up...I’m very impressed (and she had no breakfast but even no food in her tummy and she would’ve thrown up).

Hanne, Ann and Calliesmom like this.
  9. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Thinking I will be making a batch! Took Deacon with to go get hubby's 2nd COVID shot. He was fine till we got to the bottom of the hill and then the drooling started! (Deacon - not hubby!) As we waited in the long line up, we rolled down the car window and it slowed down a bit. We drove to the garden center after and up came breakfast. He seemed fine on the way home. Not sure if we are dealing with motion sickness or anxiety. He doesn't seemed fizzed by the ordeal at all, shows no outward signs of anxiety, is relaxed, so I do lean to motion sickness. His first drooling episode was his third trip to the vet though so maybe it is anxiety or a bit of both? Going to try and do LOTS of quick road trips with him. And may try the cookies!

Hubby. for sure, was NOT a fan of having him in the car (it's my Yukon and I was fine!) and I tried to explain Brodie vomited up to about a year old, but he didn't experience that and he doesn't deal well with vomit or bodily fluids.

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Ya I’d skip Deacon’s breakfast as well if you can. I totally agree with you that it’s motion sickness, Blueberry gives no outward indications that she’s going to vomit...no drooling or crying just boom.
    She did throw up when we we’re almost home but she wouldn’t take another cookie, I think because they were too hard. My breeder said she used something called Bonin that she ordered off Amazon with Blueberry’s dam who also had bad motion sickness. I haven’t checked it out yet but I may if this continues.
    Poor hubby...did you have Deacon in a crate or loose? At least with Covid I have hand sanitizers and paper towels in the car (and gloves lol) because I don’t particularly like vomit either lol.