Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gluing ears and negative feedback

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by BarbV, Jan 10, 2017.

1. BarbV

BarbV Premium Member

I own a pet store and often bring my 6 month old into the store. I'm still attempting to glue his ears. I don't know how many times customers have said things like "what's wrong with his ears" or "did you crop his ears". I try to explain gluing and why. And they look at me like I'm look at like I'm abusing my dog.

I try to explain. No it's not cropping. It's simply glue hair to hair. No, it doesn't hurt or even bother them. But they all look at me from I'm from Mars. They actually think that sheltie ears are supposed to be pricked. Then a customer today compared gluing to cropping ears and tails. And almost patted my hand saying he "understood " because he had bioxers.

No, no, no!

Aargh! How do you all deal with this. How to get understanding out there?

Oatie likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    You don't. I try to gently explain that all we're doing is training the ears to set correctly, and if that doesn't work, I walk away. I'm sure that's hard to do in your store where you're a captive audience, so I guess you have to just change the subject. It's very irritating, I agree!

3. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Perhaps get a handout written by a vet to give them? Explaining it can actually have health benefits? Really not sure what else to suggest. I've already gotten some strange looks when I mention doing this to my future pups. However, I've had 2 shelties - one with pricked ears and one with tipped. They have both played in the same field behind our home - my last sheltie with pricked ears was constantly at the vet for ear infections caused by spear grass. My current sheltie with the tipped ears has never gotten spear grass in his ears despite spending more time in that field. I find spear grass on the outside of his ears but never in the cannal. A neighbor's sheltie has pricked ears and also picks up spear grass in that field. It's only my experience but it's my reason for wanting to tip my next pup's ears and the reason I give to people who want to know why I would even consider it.

4. PonyForever

PonyForever Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2016
    Huntsville, AL
    I had never heard of glueing before having a Sheltie. So I'm guessing most people just aren't familiar with the practice, and the closest thing they can compare it to (in their limited experience) is ear cropping? It's great that you're explaining it to people, but yeah.

You'll never get understanding from everyone, haha. I'm in a group on Facebook, and every time someone asks how to glue ears, there are SO many replies saying things like "Oh, I just left mine alone, I love my dog just the way he/she is!" Because the rest of us don't love our dogs. :rolleyes2:

You just can't get away from judgmental people.:hide That's why I don't go anywhere, lol.

5. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    People are more emotionally "charged" on any issue these days. Everyone believes they are right and most subjects have two sides. There will always be a chasm in just about everything, but the trend is to be highly defensive and voice their opinions more openly now. I think the world in general needs a chill pill, and a huge dose of tolerance on people's individual choices. As long as those choices aren't harmful I don't see why people have to be in your personal biz, so to speak. Pet Peeve of mine.

I prefer tipped ears, because I think it is adorable and compliments the Sheltie face. Kaleigh's had to be glued, but Savannah had such paper thin ear leather I was afraid to do anything. She tends to have droopy more hound dog looking ears which react to temperature. The colder it is the more they hang. So I gauge weather by her ears and I find that to be a silly precious perk that I cherish about her.

Maybe state is equivalent to highlighting one's hair colour, or painting your nails, those are examples that might be understood (tolerated) a bit better by those that get huffy. The good news is you comprehend that it isn't hurting or abusing the puppy.

PonyForever likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Fortunately, he won't have the glue forever -- unlike those people's unwillingness to learn.

Piper's mom and tesslynn like this.
  7. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I got that the other day with Relic at the agility trial I was at. So I understand your pain...

8. PonyForever

PonyForever Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2016
    Huntsville, AL
    YES, people are all charged up these days. Good grief! o_O

tesslynn likes this.
  9. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've always explained that it's just like putting braces on your kid's teeth - it's an accurate analogy, and at least in the US (where orthodontia are very common) it always seems to work.

ghggp, Caro, PonyForever and 3 others like this.
  10. Oatie

Oatie Forums Novice

May 16, 2017
    IN, United States
    I work as a cashier at a pet store, my boss is nice enough to let me bring my pup to work. I get the same thing; it's very frustrating. People don't understand, and it's difficult to not to argue back with them lol