Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Going from 2 to 3 dogs

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Lexi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Lexi

Lexi Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    Hi,
    I was wondering how much more work is going from 2 to 3 shelties(or other breeds)?:smile2:

ghggp and Wendy C like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Had the same trepidation years back. Since then we've had 3 different combos of 3 Shelties. After losing Brooke in May, the house seems too quiet even with 2 hooligans running around playing. :(

Since there is two us us to handle the dogs it's really not that much more work. If you are only one person, well, you only have two hands, so someone gets left out of the petting.... so you just have to be aware of divvying up the attention so nobody gets their nose out of joint, so to speak.

All our sets of 3 did well together honestly. I just think Shelties do so well in multiples. Lots of folks here have 3, 4, or (ahem, looking at you, Ann) even more!! :lol: There is the cost consideration, as well, vet bills, training classes, etc. But, as my husband once famously said of getting another dog, "I don't see the downside!"

Wendy C, ghggp, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I'm on month 5 of having three dogs. Always just had two before. It's just me taking care of them. My husband wouldn't have any if he had his way (so jealous of Sharon7!). Life here was up-heaved for several months. Trying to describe additional "work" is going to be primarily dependent on what you have now and what you are adding! Frankly it was more mental than physical for me, aside from the extra hours added for grooming.

Ann, Wendy C and Sharon7 like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sharon hit the nail on the head EXACTLY from my point of view... could not have said it any better!
    I LOVE having three

My first three - Laddie, Billy, and Mr Chance
    IMG_8851.JPG

When Billy Passed I added Logan (Left)
    IMG_0168.JPG

When they passed within a year, I got Liam, Beau, and Baron
    IMG_0144.jpeg

Hanne, Sandy in CT, Ann and 6 others like this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Pre-sheltie, I had one dog (#1). when he passed, I needed another dog (#2) and then I got him a friend- my first sheltie (#3). they were both getting older so sheltie #2(dog #4) came along. then we lost #2 and got sheltie #3(dog#5). and then lost sheltie #1 so got sheltie #4 (dog#6). I really wanted a little biblue for that dog but not available then. several months later, there was a little biblue so we went from 3 to 4.
    we compete in dog sports so they are always busy- my house might not be clean but my dogs are having fun:winkgrin:
    IMG_8321.JPG

Hanne, Jams, KarenCurtis and 6 others like this.
  6. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
  7. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Wow, you all have such beautiful dogs, but at the age of almost 70 I will stick to my one wild child!! lol

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Hummm... I believe there is a theme going here! Like potato chips, you can’t have just one!

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Great group shot! I bought a hand held Dyson as the darn fur balls keep showing up daily! Well, I guess another multi sheltie home consideration.

KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.