Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Going to try a bigger crate

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Mar 24, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I currently have two crates for Willow. Although she sleeps well in her 28-inch crates, she looks a bit cramped in there. She's fifteen inches at the shoulders now and is well outside the curve for growth/size at 22 weeks, and unless all growth ceases, she's probably going to add an inch or two yet.

Anyway, I'm going to upsize the crate that is in our bedroom where she sleeps overnight. She's old enough now that I feel confident she won't mess in the crate even if she has room to do so.

The 28-inch size is great for travel so I'll keep the current bedroom one for that while the other 28-inch one will remain on the main floor. It's fine for an hour or two here and there when I'm running errands or unable to supervise her.

Do any of you use larger crates for your Shelties?

Here's a picture of my little ragamuffin from this morning.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/Willow/i-H8bMmBm/1/9ba9aab9/L/2019032408445680-IMG_1539-L.jpg

Calliesmom likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    All of my house crates are bigger, and my Shelties are all around 20 pounds and in-size in terms of height. I like being able to put a nice bed with bolsters in the crate and have room for them to stretch out. Usually they curl up at one end and half of it is empty but they're so much less cramped. I know the rule of thumb is the dog only needs room to stand up, turn around and lie down but I prefer letting them have a bit more room.

I do use the smaller size crates for the car and for shows, but the house crates are all the 30" x 19" size.

GlennR likes this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I have a variety of crates- sizes, styles, materials........

GlennR likes this.
  4. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    I have a wired cage (30”x19”) and a plastic crate (35.5” x 24”). They are the same size inside. I measured multiple 36” plastic crates in pet stores and noticed all of them could only fit a 30x19 crate mat inside. So they are much smaller than a 36” wired cage. I like my dog to have extra room. My dog is only 5 months old. I think when she’s fully grown, these crates aren’t going to be too big for her at all. I also have a 26”x18” plastic crate (the interior dimensions are much smaller as this is a plastic kennel) for car travel. It’s already too small for her. She’s so cramped in it. That’s why I bought the wired cage as her new travel gear.

GlennR likes this.
  5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts

6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I have the large Vari-Kennel travel crate for Sandstorm- the inside of it is about 30x20, large enough for him to stand up and turn around. He's usually snuggled up in it. He also uses it when we're home, with the door opened, sometimes we have to call him out of it!!

GlennR likes this.