Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Good long line for a little Sheltie?

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by DianeP, Oct 7, 2019.

1. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but just wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for where to get a good long line for a 13 pound Sheltie. Seems like all the long lines I can find are maybe 1/2 inch with a heavy clip and made for bigger dogs like labs or retrievers. I’d like to find something suitable to work on recalls. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    For herding I just bought lightweight paracord and a small clip from a hardware store and made it myself! :)

DianeP, Hanne, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  3. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    You're right, those heavy big clips are all I could find too! I made my own long line. I got the small clips at the hardware store and used thin cord. Just tie the end onto the clip with a figure 8 knot, make a loop at the other end. There are pics on the internet on how to tie the knots. Easy, and the puppy isn't weighted down by the heavy clip. I use these lines to train and for walks where I give her a little more freedom. Mine are 20 ft. long

DianeP, Sharon7 and corbinam like this.
  4. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Yep!

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I use these tie out cables for fake 'freedom' as well as for recall training. I like that I can clip to my pants and keep my hands free. This past weekend, I used them on the end of a leash so I had a nice hand grip for myself, but Brodie had lots of freedom on the beach. I have a 15 foot and a 20 foot. https://www.chewy.com/aspen-pet-medium-tie-out-cable-15-ft/dp/55996

6. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
  7. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Make one yourself it is much cheaper and you get it as you want :yes:

KarenCurtis likes this.
  8. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    How heavy are those?

9. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    KarenCurtis likes this.
  10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Not heavy at all - don't get catch by the wind, biggest problem was keeping my husband from stepping on the line! I was not happy with Brodie on a leash with a 15 foot training leash, it caught the wind, flapped, provided resistance, didn't allow freedom. With these tie outs, he ran around like mad like he wasn't attached to anything at all, it was me scurrying to pull up the line, he did not feel attached at all but was. After he ran off to chase seagulls and I tried to collect the line with my hand once and got burned a bit, I clipped the end to my belt loop. Second time out, I was smarter and attached the line to a 5 foot leash. The leash had weight, the line had none, but the leash allowed me to have a grip. If interested, I will pull them out of my truck in the morning and give you a weight from a scale....