Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Goodbye to Cody

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by pomshe, Jun 7, 2020.

1. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    I had to say goodbye to my beautiful, sweet, gentle Cody yesterday. I am going to miss him so much! I can't believe what a huge hole he has left in my heart. We had been through so much together and he literally saved my life. I don't think he was ready to leave this earth, but his body just gave out and I couldn't see him suffer any longer. He was 15 years old. I just hope I made the right decision. He was my first dog and I am really struggling without him. RIP buddy, you were such a good dog!

Hanne, RikyR, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  2. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    So sorry to hear this. I've lost dogs also, so I do know the hole that is there. Never doubt that you made the right decision. You did. You knew him best. I know it's hard. In time the pain will not be so intense. I'm sorry.

Hanne, Darren, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm so very sorry to hear about Cody. I agree, don't second guess yourself. The last gift we can give them in return for their years of love is to let them go before they're in crisis. In time you'll remember Cody with wonderful memories and warm feelings, but it's the hardest adjustment there is when they're gone. Sending you comfort and hugs.

Hanne, Darren, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I'm so sorry for your loss, it's never easy to say goodbye but you did the right thing. :hugs

Darren and ghggp like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I am so sorry for your loss!

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I am so sorry to hear you had to let go of Cody. I have tears for you both.:hugs

I know when Deska died he didn't want to go, but I had no choice god and nature were taking him anyway but not in a nice way. It is never an easy decision and I don't think it's possible to be completely comfortable with it. Eighteen months later and my heart still breaks most days. But I can also now look back on videos and pictures and smile with the memories. It is so hard when we love them so much.

Sharon7, Darren and ghggp like this.
  7. ttexan

ttexan Forums Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    It's one of the toughest choices we as dog people are called upon to make. I'm sure you made the right decision, but I am so sorry for your loss.

8. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    So very sorry for your loss. The hardest decision I ever made was to let my Cody cross the bridge. I could not bear to watch him suffer just for the pain I would feel for losing him. That was six years ago, and I still miss him. In time, your pain will be replaced by happy memories of the time you shared with him.

Hanne, Sharon7, Darren and 1 other person like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am also saddened that you had to let Cody cross over to Rainbow Bridge. It is never an easy decision that we all struggle with. I agree with Ann. The kindest thing and most unselfish act is to allow them the final gift of peace before they are in crisis!

I must tell you that you were the best sheltie mom to have allowed Cody 15 years. I have never been that blessed. I know we all are shedding tears as we post to try and comfort you remembering the loss of our shelties that had passed.

I hope, in time, you find memories that will fill your thoughts. Blessings and virtual hugs to you.
    RIP Cody.
    You will be missed...

RikyR and Darren like this.
  10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    My heart aches for your loss. Such a gift you gave Cody -- peace, freedom and a glorious life.

ghggp and Darren like this.