Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gordon's "come & try" herding day

Discussion in 'Herding & Tracking' started by GordonDaSheltie, Aug 7, 2016.

1. GordonDaSheltie

GordonDaSheltie Forums Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Adelaide
    The South Australian Shetland Sheepdog Club put on a come and try herding day with an experienced herding trainer and judge this weekend and Gordon was fantastic!

I had no idea that they could "turn on" like that. It was the most instinctive thing i've seen him do. Far more natural than agility and forget about obedience :ROFLMAO:

He was so enthusiastic that the trainer had to stop giving me instructions because she actually had to 'work" him to control his enthusiasm. His second attempt was fantastic. Far more control, less barking and more deliberate in his movements and strategy. This time the instructor was able to tell me to stay as close to her as possible because he kept herding them towards me and she wasn't able to control him at such a distance.

Next time there is a Herding instinct trial i'll definitely enter and see how he goes :D of course winning a title won't be as easy as passing the instinct test.

Oh and i was worried about his recall which isn't great at the best of times but it really didn't matter as even if it was a great recall to being with he wouldn't have come anyway! He didn't want to stop !

corbinam and Cara Sandler like this.
  2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    He looks so happy! I'm going to have Spirit try herding when it cools down here.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    it is so awesome to see them do what they were bred to do- good job Gordon:yes:

4. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Great photos! Gordon looks like he's in his element. Sounds fun :smile2:

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    So nice to read your thread, and see pictures of a very happy Gordon.

A Sheltie in his right element. :yes:

That is what we must keep in mind - when we think that a short trip once in a while, ore not to think about that some are enclosed inside - are not to give this beautiful active race a good dog life. :no:

6. PonyForever

PonyForever Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2016
    Huntsville, AL
    That's really cool, way to go Gordon! :)

7. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Fantastic! What wonderful pictures - he is clearly in his element and loving every minute of it. :)

I have Maddie scheduled for a herding instinct trial this coming Sunday - will try to get pictures and share (no matter how it turns out...lol)

8. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Wooo he sure had fun! Lovely pictures! We go once or twice a year, it's a great day out with shelties. :)

9. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Well, it was a nice (if a little spendy) walk in the country with ducks and sheeps. Miss Maddie shows almost ZERO interest in herding! LOL