Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

GPS Dog Tracking System

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by ghggp, Jun 13, 2019 at 6:29 PM.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ok, some history...

An elderly gentleman I have known for years who lives down the block from me lost his rescue collie a month ago. I know he and his wife are just devastated at the loss. They had a rescue sheltie before that. I can not say enough kind words about this couple. Yes, we have our dogs in common and they were always supportive when I lost one of my pack.

I thought, why not let him walk with Liam. He knows the man and his wife. It would get him out more as my working hours have increased... it seems like a win/win. Since Tim was so sad and I decided to let him walk with Liam. The first few times it was with Beau and Liam.

I got Liam the Whistle GPS Tracking device... Only used it for a week, but I do feel a sense of relief knowing where he is while being walked. When Tim arrived this time it was with his granddaughter that LOVES dogs. She works at a doggie daycare facility. She thought being at a daycare facility might help to socialize him. Anyway, they took Liam for his walk and at first, he was apprehensive about her. By the end of the walk, he was licking their hands.

The peace of mind having this technology on Liam is priceless at relieving my anxiety. I really recommend this unit for those who might find it necessary to keep track of their dogs at home or on trips.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg

JacqueZ, Hanne, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Excellent idea Gloria and can I say what wonderful neighbors you have!
    The socializing Liam is getting is absolutely priceless...far better than any obedience class could provide!

JacqueZ, Hanne and ghggp like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    What a kindness! Yes, we also use GPS tags for Penny, Toshiro and Kiyomi!

JacqueZ, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Excellent idea! Definitely win-win! Liam gets exercise and socializing, and the neighbors get a fur-fix. :)

That GPS is a cool idea, also!

JacqueZ and ghggp like this.
  5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I have a Whistle for my guys too—I love it! Peace of mind when hiking and even when driving. If I were to get in an accident and they ran off it’s nice to know they could be tracked.

Sharon7, JacqueZ and ghggp like this.