Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Great idea - a treat mat to make

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by Caro, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    We went to a dog event today and one of the stalls had this fantastic treat rug. It's a rubber door mat with holes in it and lots of pieces of flannelette tied in the holes. You hide kibble (or small treats) in the flannelette. Deska LOVED it - he tried to drag it with us when we left the store, so of course I relented and brought him one.

Now I'm going to make another couple myself. I think the Burmese cat will love it too - she's chubby so if she hunts for her food and it might slow her down, and I'll make another 2 for the dogs. I think Deska's one will have longer pieces of flannel as he has such a long nose.

The pieces of flannel in this one are 17cm x 4cm (6.5" x 1.75").
    Deska and mat.jpg
    Underside of mat.jpg

Hannah, Margi and Cara Sandler like this.
  2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
  3. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    I love crafty fun ideas, thanks.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Actually I think the material is fleece, not flannel. I've brought some mats so will post a pic when I've done it and tell you how many strips of fleece it took.

Hanne likes this.
  5. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I have a friend that makes these and other fleece toys. They look like a lot of fun and Edan would have a blast with it. Keiran, however, would probably tear apart the fleece ends. I still may end up breaking down and buying one because they really are nice.

6. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    This looks so cool! Maybe something to entertain the interminably bored Fillion. I'm not really craftsy--what does the mat look like without the fleece/flannel? Is it sold in regular stores? Kinda looks hard to make to me.

7. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I think Cleo would actually enjoy something like this. I may look into making one for her.

8. PonyForever

PonyForever Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2016
    Huntsville, AL
    Are the flannel pieces just tied in a knot through 2 holes? This could probably be made with old T-shirts and a mat as well?

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Hanne, Margi and Cleo2014 like this.
  10. Robert Smith

Robert Smith Forums Novice

Dec 7, 2018
    Wow... Amazing idea to create doormats by self at home. As we have already bought door mats form Miracle Mat. Interested to work on these Do-It-Yourself doormats.