Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Green Algae Blooms

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sandy in CT, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    In the last week, I've had a friend whose friend lost two of her dogs, plus read another instance of dogs dying. This morning, while checking Facebook, I see this pop up.....
    https://whdh.com/news/officials-war...0FLr_Q64rE8Cfxf0MQhXprbl3ArtvPyU4tLJz4clQU5EY

This only involves the Cape, but I've read of instance in GA, SC, NC, OH.... Last night, a story involved a merle sheltie. Standing water, humid conditions apparently lead to these conditions. This article contains more descriptions.
    https://www.wbur.org/earthwhile/2019/07/26/toxic-algae-cyanobacteria-charles-river

There is NO antidote - it is untreatable, fatal. Please keep your puppers safe!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I've heard the same awful stories, Sandy. Thanks for posting this warning. I'd stay away from lakes, ponds and standing water with the dogs. The warm, humid weather conditions seem to exacerbate this algae and although it's more prevalent in the south, it's here in the Northeast too. Be careful, everyone!

Piper's mom, KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    This happens often here because it's an inland dry climate with little rain. Where I live blue-green algae blooms when there isn't rain to circulate the water and it sits on the top of the water where it's warm. A friend's border collie died recently from swimming in the local lake, and you're right, there is no cure. It was devastating and they felt so much guilt. Unfortunately the govt posted a warning sign where humans go swimming but didn't signpost the dog swimming areas.

KarenCurtis, Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    That poor woman who lost 3 dogs :cry: :eek2: Beyond awful. Thankfully around here the only water my dogs get into is at the ocean, and that's not too often.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    all the Mississippi beaches were closed earlier this summer for the same reason- toxic algae bloom. Barry seemed to take care of it as I've heard nothing about it since then.......

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Saw several reports on the news yesterday and was gong to post about it also. I live by lake st Clair and so far nothing has been reported.

Just too awful for words. Please be safe out there!

Ann, KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I've been hearing about this for some time and more and more dogs are dying! Only water my guys will run through is the sprinkler, we have quite a bit of algae blooms here as well.

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Sadly, we're keeping Bitsy away from drinking in her stream until we get some cooler weather.

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My worst fear...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/...green-algae.../1996204001/
    19 hours ago - However, blooms can also be found in parts of Lake St. Clair, Lake Michigan, Lake Huron and Lake Erie. The most dominant blue-green algae ...

Thank goodness none of my dogs swim or are near the water. Only sprinklers for my boys...
    Never heard of this growing up! So very scary!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I used to Ice skate on that lake when I lived in Michigan!

ghggp likes this.