Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Greeting New People

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Diana Mccly, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Diana Mccly

Diana Mccly Forums Regular

Jul 12, 2020
    Virginia USA
    Hey all, we've hit 21 weeks. We're out of the critical socialization period and on to fun teenage behaviors ;). Kester has definitely gotten bolder and more confident except with meeting people when we are out and about. Looking back I could have been more organized and purposeful with the socialization, but I think there was only one four day period when we didn't take him somewhere. We even traveled with him and hosted a kids birthday party. He will let kids pet and play ALL day long, but does not want adults to pet him. He isn't reactive or displaying fear behavior, he just straight up wont let people touch him (unless I am holding him and then it seems to be ok). He takes treats and sits politely at my feet.

So my question, how do your dogs behave with new people? I know shelties have a rep for being aloof with strangers. I don't think the behavior he's displaying is problematic, I just wish he were a little more... tolerant? Will it come with age? Do I just need to accept he's not going to let people pet him (the world would be missing out on some amazing floof if that's the case).

KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Interesting he's OK with the kids petting - some dogs are just funny about getting petted. Meadow will sometimes back away a few steps if we reach out to pet her, even if she's approached us looking like she'd actually LIKE to be petted....:confused2: She really doesn't like a hand reaching over her head, so we start at chest level. I would see if you can give adults treats to lure him with - if Kester sees a reward in it he may grow more tolerant. But if he doesn't, well.... I always tell myself (and others!) that Shelties are not Goldens, they don't automatically love everyone!

Eli will often approach people on our off leash walks, then when they reach down to pet, he moves slightly out of the way. Depends on the person, though.

3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie was socialized up the wazoo - it's still HIS call how he reacts to people. He is not a fan of kids but mainly because they attempt to push themselves on him. With adults, there's really no rhyme or reason to who he feels is adequate to be permitted to touch him and who simply is not good enough for whatever reason. Go to his level, ignore him, let HIM check you out instead of the other way around and you have a better chance. We've had uber dog people at our house who he wouldn't go near - we just explain it's the sheltie mentality not to take it personal. Kooper loves it because it means he gets ALL that attention.

4. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu is a lot like Brodie. No rhyme or reason, it is almost like he can read their body language, or maybe their smell..

Sharon7, Diana Mccly and Sandy in CT like this.
  5. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Callahan and Mackie weren't socialized properly and never let anyone touch them.
    Koko walks up quietly to strangers and lets them pet him.
    Fillion is at the end of the leash doing the bucking bronco to go say HI!! to pretty much everybody.
    Benson, raised by the same breeder as his dad, won't let any stranger touch him.
    I think it's just the individual dog...

Sharon7, Diana Mccly and Sandy in CT like this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    you can certainly teach your dog to allow petting. mine definitely are not into kids....
    they have all gotten their CGC which does have them allowing a stranger to touch them.
    funny thing- I entered the bi boys in Beginner Novice this past weekend- we practiced the sit stay so I could walk around them in the ring and the recall but we did not practice the sit for exam. Both boys were good and let the judge touch them so they each now have 1 leg towards their BN.

7. Diana Mccly

Jul 12, 2020
    Virginia USA
    We are working toward our CGC. What is BN though?

Sharon7 likes this.
  8. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon loves attention, for the most part. He really loves kids and will let them pet him, even a little roughly. He's pickier with adults -- most are able to pet him but there's a few he just won't tolerate.

Sharon7 and Diana Mccly like this.
  9. Diana Mccly

Jul 12, 2020
    Virginia USA
    Meadow sounds like him. Doesn't like for people to go for his head and shys away a far amount if you come from above at all. Lol I keep telling people "he is shy and also not a lab". I almost always give people treats to hand him. He usually takes them and then walks back to sit by my feet to eat them :gaah . Can't complain too much because he is my little shadow which I enjoy. Just need him to be a little more tolerant, especially for that CGC test :fl

Sharon7 likes this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Piper loves everyone and will put his front paws on their leg if they don't pet him fast enough :lol:...I had him in obedience from the time he was 3 months (and it never really ended). Finnie will sometimes let people pet him but he's more likely to back up...then go forward when they pull their hand away...then back up...and....you get the picture. If they turn their back on him he's more likely then to allow petting. Hates kids.. he'd never hurt them but on a walk past a school it's bark bark bark...

Sharon7 and Sandy in CT like this.