Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Grooming for Dingle-berries

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Sandy in CT, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie got his first dingle-berry today and acted traumatized by the sheer embarrassment of it. Mommy didn't help matters by tossing him in for a bath after making a mess of his back-side trying to help the cause.

So I know I have read about grooming the 'poop-shoot' but does anyone have any suggestions / detailed instructions? Don't want to mess with his coat too much but if/when it happens again, I want to know what to alter to help it not re-occur.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I have a pair of curved scissors I use for this delicate procedure. I start from the top, cutting fairly close, and make a 1-1.5 inch "path" from the anus to the privates. It helps to have someone hold the victim's tail up and out of the way. While I scissor, I have a brush in hand to brush the hair I want to keep to the side. The result is an invisible path that allows the poop to drop cleanly.

Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Thank you Chris! I love the video - very helpful instead of just words. I always forget about You-Tube!

Just tried this, not sure I went wide or long enough but I suppose I will be able to see / not see whether it worked in a few hours.....

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Chris likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I only use clippers... use the same process...
    Reminds me... To do a check on my boys...

LOVE YOUR COMMENT:
    "Brodie got his first dingle-berry today and acted traumatized by the sheer embarrassment of it. Mommy didn't help matters by tossing him in for a bath after making a mess of his back-side trying to help the cause."

I can not tell you how many times that has happened to me! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Chris and Calliesmom like this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Thanks Chris - is it ok if I post the video to the Canberra Shelties closed group? So many are shaving and clipping their dogs' trousers off and it looks awful.

Funny, I don't need to do a poop chute since they were puppies, and that's with both dogs having IBD.

ghggp likes this.
  6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I never trimmed for a poop chute, I just cut or yank out any dingleberries I find. Sandstorm's pants are huge, I can't wait until Minnie gets pants and we can compare

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    ghggp likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Thanks Chris for the video! Fortunately Piper and Finnie have very firm poops but there has been the odd time that Piper gets a clingon (that's what I call them lol) and he then proceeds to SIT on it:ROFLMAO:...
    Unfortunately I had to do a major trim on Riley, he won't squat to poop and it can get very messy.

ghggp and Caro like this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    OMG - that's what Tully does too - when the stools are soft and clinging she sits and mushes it into her fur, grrr. Deska on the other hand, I'd just say "show me your bot bot" and he'd point it at me and lift his tail for a bottom wipe.

ghggp likes this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yep, had that same experience! I call them clingons as well!
    Not so bad when they are firm. However, it is the worst if they are not!:ick
    Usually, a bath ensures...

10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I think I learned my lesson to leave it alone! Brodie's poo is firm, and probably would have been fine if I had left alone, but I tried to 'help' and proceeded to squish it all into the fur with a paper towel. Ah well, he is clean, SOFT!, and has a new poop chute! :)

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.