Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

grooming

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by kazie, Dec 7, 2018 at 12:09 AM.

1. kazie

kazie Premium Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Utah
    I'm looking for help on what to tell the groomer about Sheltie grooming. I've been bathing Luna (5 months old) myself and she is used to the sink, spray nozzle, shampoo, conditioner and a blow dryer. I don't have time to do a full groom going forward and definitely need someone to do her nails and anal expression. I did have the groomer at the doggie day care/boarding facility where I take her to socialize twice a week do the glands because it was becoming obvious it was needed. The groomer confirmed my observations were correct. Anyway, what instructions do I give her re actual grooming? I want to be sure she stays looking like a sheltie and not some generic dog.

I did see a suggestion in an older thread about getting An Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming, but it is an out-of-print book that is selling on eBay for upwards of $200. That is way above and beyond what I am willing to pay for a book!

Guidance please! Thanks.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Wow, didn't realise it had gotten do expensive. Shame it hasn't been reprinted.

We had a member some years ago who posted good grooming videos on youtube. Maybe one of the other long time members can look her up (sorry can't do it myself).

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Kazie, I posted a reply to you on the other grooming thread you asked on before I read this one. I didn't realize you were taking Luna to a groomer. Be very careful giving instructions...there are horror stories about generic groomers shaving Shelties or cutting ruffs and pants off. If you can't do it yourself or don't have time to learn, I'd instruct the groomer that the ONLY cutting to be done is the anal area, and the pants and ruff are not to be trimmed! Ears should be lightly trimmed so they look neat but that's it. The feet should be trimmed between the pads and just around the edge, and the rest should be just brushing. You might take a picture of a Sheltie who is correctly trimmed to show her too, so there's no mistake.

kazie, Caro and ghggp like this.
  4. kazie

kazie Premium Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Utah
    Thank you so much! This will be a big help.

Ann likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I would also consider setting the first grooming for a time you can stay and observe. Bring a book and park yourself. Any groomer who objects isn't one you want to use.

KarenCurtis likes this.