Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Growing like a weed...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by ghggp, Sep 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    AE6126F0-FA11-4BF9-BB88-9BAC1701C171.jpeg 0C4325D3-45E2-4C22-A4DF-F5DD44541685.jpeg Well, the breeder warned me that Liam was going to be oversized. Gezz, he is already bigger than Beau at five months! Hope he slows down soon. He is all legs!

He started his new puppy class yesterday. A new place and again, he was not happy!
    He literally whined the whole hour long class. So frustrating. Hopefully the next class will be better!

Piper's mom, Jams and RikyR like this.
  2. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    He is so handsome! Hope classes get better

ghggp likes this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Looks like a strapping young man to me! So very cute. Hope next class is better, when the newness wears off.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    So cute! He is going through the lion stage!

ghggp likes this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    He is such a handsome boy, Gloria! Hope he adjusts to the new class. Bring lots of treats!

ghggp likes this.
  6. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    He's really good looking! Devon will start puppy kindergarden class on October 10th. He will be 4 months old October 11th. He's awful willful and exhibits frustration big time when he is prevented from doing what he wants, which is why I'm taking him to class so early, as I need to stop that behavior before it becomes ingrained. He's very confident so I don't think I'm going to have the same issues you have had. My issues with him are likely to be just the opposite. Fortunately he doesn't exhibit anger toward people, but he does go and make snarling noises and bites whatever inanimate object is nearby (e.g. grass, rugs, furniture legs, etc.) when he is prevented from doing what he wants.

ghggp likes this.
  7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    He has such a regal face!

ghggp likes this.
  8. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Such a handsome boy!

ghggp likes this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Funny thing is I thought the same! Liam was bold and confident at home. Harassment to Beau and Baron and his excitement over meeting new humans made me believe I would have no issues in a class. Boy, was I wrong.

This new class is quite interesting. So far I like the trainer. He had us do an exercise where you sit in a chair and physically but gently put the puppy in a down position. Then you ask them to stay. If you see the puppies feet twitching as if he is about to try and get up you put your hand on his side to prevent him from being able to get up and say STAY. Actually, Liam already knows to sit and down (with treats of course). He did that exercise better than all the dogs in the class except for all the whining. So, the trainer said, do this at home twice a day. Once in the morning and evening for 10 minutes. He also recommended to do it indoors and out in as many different locations as possible. Especially, where there are distractions.

So, popped Liam in the car. Took him to my local small pet store and he was fine meeting people. A good start I thought. Feeling confident I took him to a small block of stores in my neighborhood with benches. Proceeded to do the down stay. He was terrified at first of all the cars going by. I still got him into the down and stay while strangers walked by. They could see we were training so most folks were considerate and just walked by without asking to pat him.

Well, if anyone came out of a store with a bag by their side he had a total meltdown, frantically trying to get up. One guy actually stopped and apologized for scaring him. He said his dog is fearful too. I asked how old his dog was and he responded six! I guess the moral is get as much socialization done as early as possible!

Good for you that you understand the need to go to puppy classes! Too many problems arise from people who do not invest the time in the early stages of puppy development. Believe me, I have not had a puppy in years and am learning as I go.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Wow Liam has really grown, he's all legs...reminds me of Finnie (he's still quite leggy but growing his fur out quite a bit). Such a pretty boy though, I just love that face!
    How old is Liam now? Finnie is going on 8 months and is starting to realize he's a boy...tries to hump Riley (he snarls at him...Finnie likes that game) and Piper (who really does nothing to stop him so I have to intervene)...fun times ahead lol.

ghggp likes this.