Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Growth plate x-rays?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by reticulataxparadisi, Apr 12, 2018.

1. reticulataxparadisi

reticulataxparadisi Forums Novice

Oct 18, 2017
    Hi everyone, proud owner of a ten-month sheltie boy, and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile getting growth plate x-rays. From what I've found online most people seem to think that 18+ months is when they're fully closed, but Gormy's definitely on the small side (ribs are faintly palpable at 12lbs). If he's going to be a smaller dog, will they close earlier? I don't want to waste money on the x-ray if there's no way he's mature though - I'll just wait until he's 18 m/o. I want to get him desexed so he can start going to doggy daycare, and also so he can start doing jumps.

2. Gypsy0211

Gypsy0211 Forums Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    New England
    Curious if you ever made a decision on when to neuter your boy? I'm in a similar situation now, and my male Sheltie is definitely on the smaller side.

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Gypsy0211 likes this.
  4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    My Skylar's growth plates were closed at 9 months, so it might be worth the xray.

Gypsy0211 likes this.
  5. reticulataxparadisi

Oct 18, 2017
    Still haven't had him neutered, planning to just wait until 18 months even though he's definitely not still growing. My vet talked me out of the x-rays: said it would cost hundreds per leg and seemed to think the whole idea was ridiculous. The whole rush to do it was because he was boarding with his breeder later this year and it would have been difficult to manage an intact dog. But things have come up meaning he won't be boarding until next year at the earliest. So I may as well wait.

Caro likes this.
  6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I must say over here no one x-rays before neutering. Mine seemed to have a little growth spurt at 12 mths but they were definitely finished growing by 14mths.

Gypsy0211 likes this.
  7. Gypsy0211

Gypsy0211 Forums Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    New England
    Thank you so much for your reply! My puppy is 9 months now, and was originally scheduled for I think August to go under. I made the appointment, with both me and the tech knowing I’d probably change it. He was born at the end of September, so I’m gonna hold my breath and cross my fingers I can get him to at least a year. If he starts to mark in the house or etc, I’ll have to reconsider. He’s my first male dog, period, I’ve always had females, but he’s my second Sheltie. My first Sheltie was spayed at six months, and thank God, because she never would’ve forgiven me for letting her go into heat once! And she lived to 15.7, almost 16.

I did see someone else, can’t remember who it was now on the forum, who mentioned that their dog license fee was incredibly higher if the dog was intact. When I got his first license, it was an extra $5, so it was $10 rather than $5. They said it was like $150 for an intact dog, I was shocked! I lived in the town next to me originally, and dog licenses were $50 a piece for a neutered/spayed dog, it felt like highway robbery. It went up every damn year. Thankfully, I don’t have that to contend with!

And my vet already thinks I’m a crazy person, but I do like him! Any doctor, for people or animals, who has no issue answering questions and replies thoughtfully is a keeper in my book.

Thanks to everyone else who replied, too!

8. reticulataxparadisi

Oct 18, 2017

Here it's $55 for desexed, $200 intact. Up to $300 fine for not doing by 6 months. It's terrible, really encourages people to get it done before their dog is physically ready, especially large breed dogs. Gorman hasn't really grown in the past few months so it'd probably be safe to get it done now but he's 18 months in November so no point in rushing.

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes the law here is desex by 6mths as well or get a special license. Although in my State you only need to register once - so how would they ever know if or when a dog was desexed. And for the other states where there's yearly registrations - well you register at 3mths then you don't need to register again until 15mths, so really you can get away with waiting until then.

10. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    That seems excessive. I think I paid something on the order of $50 for Skylar's x rays.