Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Guarding behaviour

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Piper's mom, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper used to be such a good boy in the car if I'd leave him to run into the store or something...USED to...not anymore! Ever since I got Finnie and I'd say really for the last 6 months Piper is baddddd in the car! If anyone so much as walks within 20 feet of the car he's barking and jumping at the glass (he's in the front passenger side) and snarling! I jokingly say I don't have to worry about anyone stealing them because who'd want this mean dog?
    Yesterday I ran into the grocery store and when I came out (literally 5 minutes) he was barking and snarling...nasty! Finnie gets in on it too but he just barks. As I approached the car Piper didn't realize it was me and continued to do it to me! I hit the glass on the passenger window and said NO and they quickly settled but it's so embarrassing. I'm thinking of parking in a busy lot (Walmart maybe) and pretending to leave and get people to walk by so I can correct. Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to stop it?
    My only other option (and one I'll definitely start doing if this continues) is to crate him in the car.
    Honestly, people don't believe me when I tell them...they're like sweet lovable Piper? Nooooo...can't be him...he loves everyone! He does, just not when he's in the car!

2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Not sure, but if you find something that works, please share. We have not had an issue in the car yet, mainly because Kooper does not like car rides so we tend to leave him at home where he can be crabby and comfortable. On walks, though, we do have an issue as Brodie can be a handful if walking both together. He not only barks a whole lot more, like what I would consider guarding behavior, but he also seems to be in competition with Kooper to 'be first'. He does not do this when we do our trail walks so I attribute it to Kooper being in attendance that changes the dynamics.

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    Does he bark in the car while you're inside it? Might be an interesting exercise. You could correct him when he barks and treat him when he's quiet. Then move on to trying it while you're not in the car

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ok, this is certainly not normal Piper behavior!

have you considered that someone may have deliberately teased him when he was in the car? Taunting him or even thrown something at the window of the car like a soft tennis ball. Maybe he got scared and is now bound and determined to protect his space???

Just a thought...
    I second trying to correct in the car when you are close at hand to correct and then move outside! Let us know how it goes...

TheDailyPainter and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Not when I'm in the car. The ferocious snarling nasty barking is ONLY when I'm not around (or when he thinks I'm not around lol).
    Of course I really don't have to worry about anyone stealing them when he acts like that. Who in their right mind would want to approach a vehicle with a mad dog inside lol.

Sandy in CT and HikerDog like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Interesting Gloria....I never thought of that! Anything is possible.
    Ya, I think I'll pretend to leave and wait for the behavior then correct. Then, I'll reward when he doesn't react negatively to people walking by. Thanks for the tips. It's just embarrassing to see this sweet lovable Sheltie turn into this snarling monster! I'm always apologizing to people saying he loves everyone, just not when he's in the car! And they're like un huh.....sure....;)

Sandy in CT and HikerDog like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I need to see a video of a snarling Piper!
    It is just so hard to believe!!!
    That sweet face!!!

Sandy in CT likes this.
  8. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    He is protecting his portable turf. It is too hot here to leave Zulu in the car, so one of us stays in the car with the AC running on quick trips. Zulu is a very well behaved boy, but step on his grass, and you are going to get an ear full! I suspect he would do the same thing if left in the car. I can imagine him saying "but dad, I am just doing my job!".

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Might be a good time to use a Treat and Train or Manners Minder so you can be mostly out of sight and reward.

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Now I am so lucky that Minnie - who is always with me in the car
    - never says anything, when I shop at malls.
    BUT my GDS did especially when they were two :hide

Minnie is in her cage which is not a "compact" cage
    -the tailgate is slightly open, with a fuse device

My personal opinion:

Lisa - Piper has now become an adult dog and got a Sheltie job =
    scaring people away from the property = your car.
    At the same time, he feels a responsibility for Finnie.

I would always have them in a cage in the back of your car
    possibly with a blanket over when you leave the car.
    If it works - over time I would only have a blanket on the side of the cage.

I would never frighten him, it could make him even more watchful,
    - or otherwise be afraid to be in the car when you leave it.

You do not have the option to park a little further away
    so he does not have to protect the car ??

You have to work it out now because otherwise
    I am afraid you will always have the problem

Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.