Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Guarding behaviour

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Piper's mom, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Your always very insightful Hanne. Your right that he feels his job is to protect Finnie and of course I could park further away. I've never noticed if he does it when he's alone in the car but he does do it at home, he rushes the front fence whenever he even so much as hears a noise.
    Of course crating them in the car is an option but I like them to have freedom sometimes.
    Of course, like I said I don't have to worry about anyone stealing them when he's in his protection mode...that's always a good thing!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I agree with Hanne, Lisa. A crate is a must for him. Besides keeping him safe though, there's another reason. I've heard more stories than I can count lately of people taking it on themselves to break into cars with dogs to "save" them. A friend of mine who travels with an empty crate in the back, as I do, found a gaggle of people about to smash the window of her van since they insisted there must be a dog in the car in distress. The crate was empty. I no longer take my dogs in the car just for fun, sadly, unless they're in the crate or I'm not leaving the car parked with them inside.

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Yes, Lisa I understand that so well :yes:
    for the same reason I never have cages inside :winkgrin:

It was only meant as a piece of advice
    how you possibly could avoid Piper's behavior :wink2:

When you are usually on longer trips,
    they can still have their freedom and have them sitting as you have now
    - because you are with them all the time.

Then it's you who has the job :lol:

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. unimog

unimog Forums Regular

Oct 7, 2016
    maryland
    Cody now 3 years old when we drive with him he is in a large crate in the back of the van that he jumps into and out of very readily. He does not like large diesel trucks nearby and he barks a lot at them. If someone touches the van he will bark. When driving he is very nice and goes to sleep. At the farm he will guard the driveway and any stranger will cause a lot of barking.
    The other day a large 100 lbs dog tried to attack us when walking out on our land. Cody was on leach and the large dog attacked. Cody did not back off from protecting me and I had to kick the dog very severely to make it turn around. Never knew that Cody would be this brave and not back off

Piper's mom and Hanne like this.
  5. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Wow Cody is indeed brave! My guys woulda been behind my legs for sure!

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin always had the habit of starting in the back seat like a good boy, but I would find him in the front seat when I got back! Sometimes passenger seat, sometimes drivers seat. Now he can't do that with his bad leg, so he usually just lays down to wait for me. He always sits up when I unlock the car doors; he can feel that!

Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Monday was our Thanksgiving so my mom and I were going to my sister's for dinner and Piper and Finnie were allowed to come with us. I put the dogs in the car (in backseat and no crates as she lives 5 minutes away) and then moved the car from the garage to the street by our side door (easier for my mom) and then went to help my mom to the car. As we approached the car Piper started his ferocious barking and continued until we were close enough that I could bang on the glass to stop him! What a little brat!

8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    What a brave boy Cody is!

9. unimog

unimog Forums Regular

Oct 7, 2016
    maryland
    Pipers mom
    Cody barks if he can not be with me like if leaving him behind in the house but he calms down when he can no longer hear the car or see me. If he is with me he seldom barks except he hates the fuel truck filling up the tank. He can walk right by several deers nearby or other wildlife without barking ever. He loves the UPS man since he gave him a treat long ago but the mail women he barks at. Strangers in the driveway he will bark. inside the house if he thinks a car is nearby he will bark. When going out on leach in town or parks he never barks

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Yup, Piper is also a very good boy most of the time, heck he doesn't even bark when I go to work! Little brat can't wait for me to leave so he can have a nap lol! Even today, doing obedience exercises off leash and a rabbit appeared out of nowhere...he wants to chase them, and he stared at it but stayed where he was (about 15 feet away from me) as the rabbit made his getaway! It's just in the car he's bad. Oh well...I can handle a minor transgression now and then, he really is a very good boy.

Calliesmom and Hanne like this.