Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Handling class

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by Bradt9881, May 12, 2014.

1. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have gone to a couple of classes so I can show Fletcher myself for fun at some of tHe smaller shows. Here he is doing a free stack....

Attached Files:

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    You can do it! Such a flashy pup.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    For me, the fun in conformation is showing my own dog, win or lose. I took handling classes and just watched handlers at shows for two years before I actually went in the ring. I found the handling classes very helpful, and I think you will too.

By far though, the most valuable lessons were those I learned by actually taking my dog in the ring at a show. It's very different from a class where you have time to figure out what you're doing. Things go so fast when you're in the ring between balancing what your dog is doing, what you are doing and what the judge is doing. Pick some small, weekday shows, when the entries won't be huge, to get your feet wet. It's the best learning experience you'll have, and the most fun with your dog! And when you win, it's the best! :yes:

4. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Fletcher is just too cute, such a tiny little thing, going to be one handsome adult.

5. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Looking good..I am such a control freak I cant watch someone else showing my dog.lol..not that some times I think I can do it better..because ive done my share of bad handling.. all part of the learning curve!

6. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    And my eventual goal is to have a very small hobby kennel and to show my own dogs. First, though, I have to convince breeders to sell me quality dogs, and that means professionals to handle them for now:). With puppies I have bred, then I can do it!

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Lady, I've seen you handle at the biggest pressure cooker of 'em all: Westminster. You were absolutely amazing -- neither you nor Noah put a foot/paw wrong!!!!

8. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    LOL thanks Chris!!!! It helps emenesly though when you have a dog who knows what they are doing without you there!!!:smile2: Which makes him the best Juniors dog ever!!!!!!! He does it all on his own, so I can take very little credit for him!!!! You should see me with Twinkie who is the equivalent of a dog speed bump and if she doesnt want to move she wont!!!!!