Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Happy grunts?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Stewart Werley, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Stewart Werley

Stewart Werley Premium Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I was getting Chewbacca out of his crate this morning and the whole time we were going through our morning ritual he was making these little whining sounds but they weren't whining like he was upset. They were more like happy little grunts. Not very loud or anything but just happy little sounds.
    I never noticed anything like this ever before. Is this a sheltie thing for them to vocalize like this do you think or is it just a puppy thing?

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Jocu makes grunting sounds when we do agility- especially when weaving.......

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    If Spitfire had not been that he might have been named grumble. He is always making noises, mom says it is purring because he is a cat LOL

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper makes the funniest noises...usually when he wants to play, or eat or go for a walk etc lol. In the book Sheltie Talk (the best book about Shelties) it mentions all the strange focalizations they make.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    One of my very favorite things about puppies (and I only know Sheltie puppies so I can't say whether it's a breed thing or not) is the little grunts and sounds they make when you pick them up. Sadly, it goes away as they get older, usually. I have one that still does it occasionally. But they do make other little sounds as adults. Most of mine have a whole whine vocabulary.

6. Stewart Werley

Stewart Werley Premium Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Little guy sat pretty for my daughter but mostly because he was tired. Vet follow up today. He is 5.8 pounds and 4 months old

Attached Files:

SheepOfBlue, Margi, Ann and 2 others like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    super cute:yes: