Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Harness woes!

Discussion in 'Clothing, Leashes & Collars' started by Wendy C, Jun 29, 2020 at 6:33 AM.

1. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Have mercy!! Cooper has a new harness (Rabbitgoo brand). It fits him great, but you would think we had stuck a ball and chain on him!! No pep in his step!! We switched from putting the leash on his collar for the times he gets so wound up hearing motorcycles and big trucks and he pulls so hard we felt he would hurt himself. We are going on a hike later this morning and I thought although he doesn’t need it at the lake it’s one of his favorite places so he might tie the two together and realize we aren’t trying to torture him! lol. Any other suggestions? He has only had it 2 days. Thanks! :)

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I think bear with it and he will soon forget. Meadow wasn't crazy about hers either at first but after a couple of days she ignored it. Maybe put it on and get him to play with a favorite toy right away? Also maybe associate putting it on with a "Want to go for a walk?".

3. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Thanks that’s what we did today...as we put it on we asked him if he wanted to go to the lake. Once he got there he seemed to forget about. These dogs do have opinions on everything lol

Sharon7, Piper's mom, RikyR and 4 others like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Yeah!!! Glad you had success!!!

Yes, they do! Brodie actually would drag his feet on different leashes, run away, not be excited to go for a walk. Now he sits and waits for us to put his lead on - likes the cotton slip lead we use on him. Go figure....

5. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Mindy hates getting a leash and harness on. She is fine and happy once it’s on. I’ve worked with her with treats on it since the beginning, but we got her at 4 months and the breeder had never had a leash on her! She’s the only dog I've ever had who doesn’t get excited when she sees her leash.

Sharon7 and Hanne like this.
  6. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    It was a short lived success! lol Last night he stood in the living room while hubby sat on the bench by the door with his leash in hand (Cooper couldn’t see the harness) and finally had to get up and get him. This morning he stood at the top of the stairs with me at the bottom holding a treat without the leash or harness visible begging him!! Finally I “dropped” the treat on the floor and in true Sheltie style he flew down the stairs to grab it and I grabbed him. He walked fine, but when we bumped into his best buddy Murphy the Bearded Collie I swear Cooper was complaining to him about his sneaky Mom! :).

Sharon7, Sandy in CT, DianeP and 3 others like this.
  7. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    They are so smart! Mindy knows all the signals about her leash/harness and will sulk under the dining room table. I now get everything ready and go sit down nonchalantly with the leash and harness and start doing something else. In a moment or two, she comes up beside me to get it put on. It seems to work much better if it’s her idea, not mine. True Sheltie!

Hanne, Sharon7 and Sandy in CT like this.