Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Have any participated in this study?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Sandy in CT, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    trini, Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    No, hadn't even heard of it - but am really impressed and thankful that the ASSA is supportive of these studies. I had NO IDEA that Shelties were so highly likely to have TCC of the bladder! :(

3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Sarah Lee, the sheltie I grew up with, had bladder cancer. I emailed for one of the studies if they needed participants but was curious if anyone here had shelties involved. Will let you know if I get any response.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Hadn’t heard of these but then I’m in Canada and not sure if we could even participate (shipping issues and such). I did send in Piper’s DNA sample for a study on lance canines a couple years ago. Not sure what that study found out though.

Hanne, Ron Atkinson and Sharon7 like this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I do know that study - only thing I remember is that small Shelties are much more prone to lance canines.

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    This was another study to try to determine the cause of it...that’s why they were looking at the DNA of dogs with it. Will be interesting to see what they found out.

7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Sharon , years ago we lost our sheltie boy, Rory, at only 8 years old to TCC and I have 2 friends who have also lost shelties to TCC. It is a horribly aggressive cancer and always a death sentence. Typically a doggie has 4-6 months after dx...our Rory had 5 months before we had to let him go.
    Trini

Hanne, RikyR, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Sorry to hear this Trini. We have a friend in our dog club and Nosework classes who has a Collie boy with this. He is 11. He is the most awesome and sweet boy and my DH and I dread what's coming for him. His owner is a vet and she put in a urinary catheter which she drains into a pad (so he wears a belly wrap) and so far that has worked and he seems pain-free. Awful disease. :(