Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Have you ever been amazed by something your Sheltie has done?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Ron Atkinson, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    I had that happen to me today. On one of Teddys walks with my wife, they were passing the parsonage of our church .Pastor Bill said hi to Teddy and Teddy knows if that happens he is allowed to visit (Teddy loves Pastor Bill and his wife) One of our Church members was also on the porch with them. She had lost her husband this week.

When Teddy came up on porch, He went straight to her, put his paws on her knees and head in her lap and stayed quiet while the lady petted him and talked to the Pastor. My wife said after about 5 or 6 mins he got down and greeted everyone else then laid down till my wife was done.

I was really surprised and proud of our boy after my wife told me what happened. I realize that he knows when I feel good and bad and comforts me but he never met this lady and my wife said she looked fine. Just proved to me how smart Shelties are.

Sharon7, Chris, Ann and 5 others like this.
  2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I have no kids and he really was never exposed to many but Sca was amazing with kids. He would perfectly adjust his behavior to the kids age and size. With 3 year olds he would crouch down with his eats back being meek. With 10 year old hellions he was ready to play. He loved kids and I have no idea where it came from.

Sharon7, Ann, trini and 5 others like this.
  3. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    hchild

Oberon also loves children. Ours are grown and out of the house so not sure why he does, but who am I to question it? A good friend of mine has a son who's now 5 but we've known since he was a baby. When Kal (the baby) started to learn to walk Oberon let him pull himself up onto Oberon and then Oberon followed Kal around very closely to keep an eye on him.

Sharon7, Chris, Ann and 5 others like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Amazing souls aren't they?

I took Brodie to my first Alzheimer's walk and was amazed at how this energetic, psycho ball of energy would stand or sit calmly while visiting with seniors from the local center that were brought in. I had always thought I would have him tested after age 3 to see if he would qualify, but they aren't doing stuff like that currently and COVID lockdowns really ruined his socialization. One woman was just fascinated with him, kept coming up to see him, telling us her story, She once apologized and told me she was probably repeating herself and I said, no, we're all good here. Brodie was soooo gentle with her and others he met.

Dogs are no longer allowed at the walks. :( They had someone bring in a pittie that year with what looked like a fake service dog vest - "hand written do not pet me - service dog" type of deal. Dog was asked to leave the grounds as it was growling - didn't belong there at all. That was it for the dogs. Sad cuz they made such a big deal over the dogs giving them necklaces to wear if they wanted, taking pictures, allowing the seniors time with them.

5. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Ron, you have a very special boy in your Teddy. Shelties are indeed very tuned in to our moods and needs, but some like your Teddy simply go above and beyond. Kudos to your wonderful boy.
    Trini

Sharon7, Ann, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  6. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Sad, it sounds like the dogs owner thought it was about them rather than the seniors. Big loss as many of those folks had dogs in their younger years and cannot now, leaving a hole in their memories when there are to many already.

Sharon7, TheDailyPainter, Ann and 3 others like this.
  7. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    My mother-in-law has been staying with us while recovering from hip replacement surgery. She is blind, and Zulu seems to have sensed that something is different about her. He has become a bit protective of her. He stays close by and keeps a close watch when the medical teams come over to check on her. He also snuggles with her, which always puts a smile on mom's face. But we do need to keep a close eye on him when she eats. The other day he gently helped himself the last bite of her sandwich! I told mom "he set you up for that". She could not stop laughing!

8. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    One bite for a good laugh, good deal

Sharon7, RikyR, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Forums Celebrity

Feb 25, 2008
    Once when we were visiting the Behavioral Health Ward (locked) at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, there was a man in his uniform sitting alone. Layla walked over and lay at his feet, very close. I sat near, and I heard his say, very softly, "I have a Sheltie." We talked about his Sheltie girl, Hannah, as he petted Layla. How she knew, I'll ever know, but Layla always does.

Sharon7, Margi, RikyR and 5 others like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    oh my...that Zulu is very opportunistic lol! Piper has stolen a bun off my mom’s tray and just the other day one of the dogs stole a hard boiled egg she’d just peeled :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    She went to grab the other egg to peel and suddenly the other egg was gone:lol:. She thought it was Finnie because he was wagging his tail but then he’s always wagging it. My bet is on Piggy Piper:yes:

Sharon7, Sandy in CT, Ann and 3 others like this.