Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Haven't Visited in Awhile....Quick Update and Question.

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Lauren, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Lauren

Lauren Forums Novice

Sep 4, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    So I'm stopping in to say hello, share some updated pictures, and ask a question!

Firstly, Samson will be 10 months old tomorrow. His coat is growing in beautifully (see attached pictures). I'm so glad that I accidentally stumbled upon him in the pet store (yes, pet store), when I did. I never knew what kind of dog I'd get if and when I got "my own", and he's just perfect.

Here's my question:
    I decided not to glue Samson's ears. I think he's so much more expressive and charismatic with them perked up. Has anyone here opted NOT to glue their sheltie's ears for the same, or similar reasons? I don't think there is any health benefit to it, I believe it's all aesthetic (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

Anyway, hope everyone's new year is off to the right start!

P.S. Samson's recent pictures were taken by a friend of mine, who is a professional photographer :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67256214@N08/?saved=1

~ Lauren

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    He sure is growing up!

With my first sheltie I tried gluing but it just didn't go well. His ear leather was really thick, and I had no idea what I was doing, so we gave up. His ears stick up too :)

3. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Samson sure is a cutie!

You're right, ear gluing is solely for aesthetics unless you're showing him. Don't do it if you don't want to, its just a matter of personal taste for pet dogs.

My two sheltie girls came from a breeder and I glued both of their ears. Toby my rescue came to us with his ears pricked and I wouldn't have him any other way.

4. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    I really think pricked ears detract from from sweet sheltie expression and will do what I have to do to keep them "proper". I was lucky with my elder boy since he just has naturally folded beautiful ears and I did glued for Leo up until he was a year old.

5. Will

Will Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2010
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Nature's way -

I think Samson's ears are perfect the way they are. My first Sheltie had one ear each way, naturally. My Rob didn't have tipped ears till he was about two years old - and then the both tipped naturally - without intervention. I believe in letting nature do its thing in this regard. Again, Samson is perfect the way he is. Regards, Will

6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorms breeder asked us if we wanted his ears done, we said no because he is a pet, and we did not care. Sandstorm has nice small ears anyways. Your dog is cute the way he is!

7. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    I think your sheltie's ears are fine the way they are. My Danny Boy has ears just like that too.

8. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think if your dog is a pet and you like the way they are fine. It only really matters to you.

I personally like the soft look of tipped ears so it is worth it to me. My current puppy has pretty heavy ears so if I liked pricked ears I would be out of luck.:smile2:

9. mgarnett06

mgarnett06 Forums Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Rogers, AR
    For me, it just came to how I like the way they looked with pricked and/or tipped.. Tipped won out for both of mine. Honestly, I think it still gives them that soft look of when they were a puppy, or at least it makes me remember those days!

Sadie Says Hello! Her ears are glued in this picture :)
    http://i43.tinypic.com/ypgcz.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I agree, its a personal choice, but my preference is tipped. And like Justice mom, I probably needn't have bothered tipping Bacca's ears because his are hound-dog anyway. But that just softens his look even more....I call him Eeyore! :smile2: