Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Heading in the wrong direction

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by GlennR, Jun 10, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Okay, I haven't had to solve this one before but I thought you may have some ideas on correcting it. Willow is walking on a loose lead better and better. One thing that derails her heeling happens when Willow turns her head towards me and walks along with her head turned towards me. Inevitably this will cause her to start to drift towards me and, eventually, collide with my leg.

Currently, her heeling position is her shoulder even with my hip. Perhaps if I adjusted her back so her head was at my hip it might stop the drifting.

Thoughts?

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    What if, when you see her drifting you tell her to watch me...watch...this way she can correct herself?
    Willow sounds like a very smart girl, have you considered taking obedience classes with her Glen? There are many different obedience exercises you can do that help to teach proper heel position...side steps, pivots, heeling against a wall (I use 2 X 4 's on the ground, 2 parallel to each other, dog inside me outside..amongst other things helps to teach a straight sit), and bucket training (another way to teach pivots but teaches a dog to heel close to you). You could also over react when Willow bumps you and pretend that you tripped or something and tell her to watch and heel.

3. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll give that a try. As for classes, there aren't a lot of convenient ones close to me but I have been looking for one that works for us.

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.