Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Healthy low cal chews??????

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by BarbV, May 2, 2015.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I apologize if I'm going to repeat previous threads

Callan is 14 months old. Indy is 7 years old.

Both have trained me into giving them a chew treat at lunch time. I used to give carrots, but that seemed to tire fast.

Then I tried Whimzee Dental chews and that was good for awhile, until Callan figured how how to scarf them in 10 minutes. (these similar to Greenies, btw but with less ingredients).

I tried bull pizzles....and this was awesome, until Callan started to inhale them unchewed and then started to puke them up whole (and yeah, then tried to eat them again.....gross!)

So I'm back at a quandary.....what chews to feed my dogs that will keep them occupied for maybe an hour, that's healthy, and good for their teeth. And low calorie!

I've started them on split deer antlers. Callan seems to buy in at little. Indy not so much.

The best I have found are the Everest Cheese Chews (in the US google Himalyon Chews) They seem to last an several days. But the boys are not so excited.

They really like the Whimzees and bull pizzles, but they don't last long enough. And yes, I want to keep their weight down!

Any other ideas?????

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Barb - try Selection tartar off bones. They really last and really clean the teeth. You should have them in your store. Emma is not a chewer but loves these.

3. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    I don't know if they're low calorie or not, but Oberon loves the filled bones by Red Barn or IMS. They come in a variety of fillings (sweet potato is his favorite) and it'll take him a few days to get all the fillings out, and then he chews on the bone itself for a few more days.

4. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Our dentist recommended to us C.E.T. Hextra Chews. One usually lasts Olive a good 40 minutes and for the last two months, has been her highest valued "treat".

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Yeah, I looked at those....and of course the Benko bones (best bones ever if you live in Canada, btw) ....but they are messy. I would have to keep the dogs OFF my bed and carpets.......

I also thought about raw bones, but same issue.

6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Actually they are hardly messy. I was surprised. No grease, very few crumbs. I put a blanket on the bed and a towel on the couch. You would never know a bone was chewed.

7. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    I find the only thing that keeps mine truly occupied is a bone. I buy the dried ones from the pet shop and they will keep going back to them for weeks.

Like Emmasmom I put down a blanket for them to eat them on.

I find the commercial chews only last seconds and are generally not very healthy, so I rarely buy them.