Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hello from Bakersfield, CA

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Mike in Bakersfield, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Mike in Bakersfield

Mike in Bakersfield Forums Novice

Jan 12, 2019
    We'll be adding two new Shelties to our dog history in April and we can't wait. Our history began what seems like "A long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far, away" when we got our first Sheltie, Chewbacca. Yes, I know that dates us. We also had a stray Pomeranian-something mutt named Princess Leia my wife picked up in the middle of a major intersection using her lunch as a lure. He came from an accidentally line-bred litter of two where his mother was his sister and his father was his grandfather. With all the possible problems that could entail, he was the best dog we've ever had. Loving, extremely intelligent, good herding instincts, and healthy, living to 17 1/2!. Our second came from the local SPCA and because he had a thin coat and was very underweight when we got him, earned the name Wylie, as in coyote. Our third, Shiloh, came to our front door. Missing most hair from the back of the head to the tail and covered with ticks. We took him to the SPCA, who initially wanted to put him down because he failed their temperament test. But the shelter director, knowing of our Sheltie soft spot, consented to let us adopt him into our family, which included 3 small children. He turned out to have a fantastically thick coat and went crazy when he saw lights on a wall or the carpet! But also a loving dog. Our last Sheltie, Erin, came from a breeder at age 4, where she had aged out. She left us 18 mos ago when her inoperable nasal tumor advanced into her brain. In many ways she was MY Sheltie. She distrusted men when we first got her, but she bonded with me. It frustrated my wife when Erin would jump up on the sofa at her dinner time, stand on my chest and stare into my eyes from 6"-12" as if to ask....."Go tell Mom to FEED ME!"
    We'll be getting our two new Shelties, Rocky and Dani, in early April after we complete some planned long foreign trips. Rocky is a 3 yr old Tri-Color, and Dani is a 4 yr old Bi-Blue Merle. They have been together since Rocky's birth and the breeder is letting them go because her health makes their care difficult. We know they are lacking in the fine points of obedience training and hope to start clicker training, the first time we're tried this method. We can use any pointers you've got in using clicker training on older Shelties, like how soon to start after bringing them to their new home with new human parents? Any suggestions to help with the bonding process? We also hope to socialize them to dogs outside of their "family" kennel. Our daughter has a wonderful black Lab that loves everybody to help us out. We won't start everything all at once. But we're really looking forward to our new fur-family. Realistically, these may be the last dogs we ever have, as we are both +/- 70.

Jams and ghggp like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Welcome from a fellow southern Californian. We are a 3 Sheltie family although our oldest girl is fighting cancer and doesn't have much longer. I'm too emotional right now to offer advice, but it does take time for adult Shelties to adjust to a new home. Sounds like you have lots of patience though as you have done rescue. Hope your new fur kids add lots of joy to your life.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    we love pix:yes:

my first sheltie was a rescue- Callie was about 5 yrs old when I got her- I had an older beagle mix at the time and she followed his lead in most things so she settled in pretty well. I do remember she didn't eat the first few days and I checked with the rescue people about the food that she had been eating and before I could pick any up, she started eating what the beagle boy was eating. I never did any clicker training with them but she was very food motivated and competed in rally obedience- got her rally novice title. I'd say that shelties are pretty smart and will pick up on things pretty quickly.

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Welcome -- you folks sound like Sheltie Guardian Angels! You're going to have two wonder Shelties!

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, you're certainly are the St Francis of rescuing! I have rescued many shelties in the past and have to say it has been one of the most rewarding parts of my life! Congrats on moving forward with two new shelties Rocky and Dani!

I have never tried clicker training and just went to YouTube to find this:

I have found that bringing an older sheltie into the household is quite an easy process. I always took them to obedience classes immediately as I found this accelerated the bonding process... Good luck and post pictures when you can!