Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help...food

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Abby’s Mom, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Abby’s Mom

Abby’s Mom Forums Novice

Feb 24, 2019
    Our little Abby will be 6 months in a week. She is maybe 11 - 11 1/2 inches (it's hard for me to measure) and only just under 7 lbs. The vet says she will probably only be 10 lbs as an adult. We have been feeding her 1/3 cup of Purina Focus Puppy for small breeds 3 times a day since we got her at 8 weeks. Do we continue with the puppy food and for how long? Do we take her down to twice a day or stay at 3 times a day for a while? She is our first female and so tiny. Definitely does not look skinny at all, but you can feel her ribs. Our previous Shelties were males and porker butts!! LOL 35-45 lbs and tall and always had to be put on diet food/meds. So I feel a little lost now. :)

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I believe it's standard to switch to twice daily at 6 months. I think I also switched to adult food somewhere between 6 and 9 months, but it's been so long since I had a puppy, I don't recall for sure. Others here will know. And yes, most Shelties will eat till they pop, so it's best to try and keep her lean, it is so much better for her joint health and overall health. Measuring her food is great. My adults eat 1/2 cup twice daily, but they are 16 - 18 inches and about 22 - 23 pounds.

Post a picture when you can!

Katie’s Mom and Calliesmom like this.
  3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Because your pup is a smaller sheltie, only 7 pounds, it wouldn't hurt to keep her on 3 meals a day of for another few months. I have a smaller sheltie. She's about 12-13 pounds now as an adult. she was 6 pounds at 6 months old. She ate 3x a day until about 9 months old and ate puppy food until a year old.

After she turned a year, she ate 1/4 to 1/3 cups of adult kibble 2x a day. The amount varied depending on how many treats and exercise she had that day.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Katie’s Mom and Calliesmom like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I agree that I'd keep her on three meals a day, and stick with puppy food until she's a year old. We usually go to two meals at 6 months but there's no hard and fast rule, and some dogs need more growth time. I usually feed 1/2 cup three times a day to puppies, but perhaps 1/3 is enough for her since she's small. If you can feel her ribs, she isn't overweight so you can feed a bit more. When you do switch to adult food, I'd keep her on a "small breed" variety too.

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    If you only expect her to gain another 3 pounds in the next 6 months (or until she's full grown) then I don't see why you can't start feeding her 2 meals a day now. I fed Piper kibble when he was a pup (he's almost 4 now and 13 3/4") and I started him on adult food (actually an all life stages food) at 6 months. The puppy food has more calories than the regular food and since they slow down on their growth they don't need all those extra calories.
    Also, you want to be able to feel their ribs (and the back bone) with very little pressure. My 1 year old Finnie is 16" tall and is a very trim 25 pounds, the vet says he's the perfect weight (my mom, whose always had fat dogs says he's too skinny!).

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Just to be different to everyone else - because I'm sure you're confused already. I remember switching Deska over to adult at 9 months. Mine were on 2 meals a day from much younger as I was working, so Tully was probably at getting 2 meals at 3mths. Can't remember when I switched Tully over to adult, but she'd often refuse her kibble breakfast anyway until I started giving it in a treat dispenser so I was probably giving her adult by 6mths.

Tully is a tiny sheltie but I didn't give her small dog food. Tends to be higher in calories and can be gulped down quicker. Mind you, Tully was such an active dog I had to feed her twice as much as needed and she still pooped the extra out.

Katie’s Mom and KarenCurtis like this.