Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help needed with pet stairs

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Cindy, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

I got carpeted pet stairs for Gavin to use to reach me bed. Thing is, he refuses. I've tried all sorts of treating schemes, but he will happily use an ottoman as a stepping stool. I would hope the 3 steps instead of only 1 would be beneficial, but Gavin has an aversion to his rear paws on the steps. They seems sturdy, and the carpet means they are non slip/ Should I just give up?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I tried pet stairs for several of our older dogs years ago, and never could get any of them to use them either! But like Gavin, they'll leapfrog from a hassock. :rolleyes: I'd give up and find another use for the stairs if Gavin is happy with his ottoman.

3. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Lil' Lady, if she wants on the bed I have to pick the Royal Highness up.

ghggp and Jams like this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Suggestions for what to do with doggie stairs? Gavin does not walk up stairs, he jumps! I am still gonna hold off on letting him use the ottoman, as I think it is still too much for him. He is 100% better, but I want to keep him that way!

ghggp likes this.
  5. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    I've had success using the carpeted pet stairs. Sometimes they still leap off the bed onto the rug, but they will use the steps. I started by plopping my dogs on the first step and they eagerly climb because they want to go to bed.

6. Chris

Chris Forums Celebrity

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I used to have stairs, but had much more success with a carpeted ramp.

ghggp likes this.
  7. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    There are a lot of hind end awareness videos on youtube for agility training that uses games to train your dogs on stairs. These may be beneficial for you and fun!

8. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
  9. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

I rigged up a home made ramp system with plywood, carpet, and a coffee table. All I need is some zip ties and a nail gun to secure things up. If he uses it...My biggest fear is he will use it to go, but just jump down. I really want to avoid that kind of stress on his joints.

10. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

We are doing better. I had a visitor last night at 3AM. He took a 30 minute pitstop at the top of the ramp where there is a platform before he continued onto the bed. I came home today from work and Gavin was sleeping on my bed. He must have used the ramp :) This is good! I have boxes blocking him from jumping down from part way down the ramp, although I can't prevent him from jumping down from the bed proper. I am just hoping that the big jump is less attractive to him. I have another ramp for his chair, and it is easy enough to prevent him from jumping down there by steric hinderance (less room to manuever). The couch is more difficult, since the only way to do that would be to block the whole thing off. It's a work in progress!