Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help! Problems switching to adult food.

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by charlie_pup, Sep 10, 2015.

1. charlie_pup

charlie_pup Forums Novice

Apr 6, 2015
    GTA
    Under the advise from our vet, we switched our Charlie from Castor & Pollux Organix Puppy food to the adult formula (same brand). Charlie is eight months and has reached adult size/weight. We started off with 3/4 puppy food, 1/4 adult food blend for 1 week and then gradually increased to half and half over the next week. It has been 1 week since the change to half and half and Charlie has mushy poop and goes 3-4 times in one walk. Only one out of those 4 poops will be actually formed. When we switched puppy food brands when we first got him, we had to add a bit of pure pumpkin in during the change and even that didn’t seem to help. He does get 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt once per day for probiotics.

I am beginning to think that he is not going to adjust to this new food and that we need to consider another brand. If this is the case, how would I even begin the new blend? Use the old puppy food with the new adult food or a mix of all 3? HELP!!!!

Any advice here would be appreciated!!

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wondering if allergies causes this...

My friends Dalmatian can not eat Chicken.

Is the new food grain free?

I feel for you as I have moved from a food that never caused loose stools to a better brand Life's Abundance. Tried the grain free on my dogs but after 6 weeks they still had loose stools. Now they are on Life’s Abundance All Life Stage Dog Food. Better now after only 2 weeks at 1/2 and 1/2 old and new food mix.

3. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Try dropping the yogurt. I was having soft stools with Zulu and could not figure out what was causing it. I was giving him yogurt for the probiotics. Once I stopped the yogurt, it cleared up.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I would also eliminate the yogurt for now, add in some plain pumpkin and a regular probiotic that you give daily. I recommend Nature's Farmacy Probio Max which is the formula that helped me with my puppy who had trouble switching foods too. I could not get her stools to firm up. The regular probiotic I was using wasn't enough.
    'https://naturesfarmacy.com/?s=probio+max&post_type=any

You may have to return to the puppy food until you get his system back in check and then try the transition again. That's what I had to do. Then I did it so gradually that I thought we'd never get there, but finally she has nice, firm stools. My vet suggested putting her on a low-residue veterinary food but the ingredients were so dreadful that I opted to try this first. You're feeding an excellent food and since it's the same brand I don't know why it would create digestive problems. Check the ingredients on both the adult and the puppy foods and see if there's a big difference in anything.

Also, has your vet tested for worms, coccidia and giardia? Puppies frequently have one of these and that could account for the digestive problems. Just a thought. Good luck!

5. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I use a powdered probiotic for Spirit, and she hasn't had any trouble with it. And she has an extremely sensitive stomach.

6. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    kibble is goofy

I would check on what is different on the adult food as suggested. Sometimes it can be a not so good bag of food that is the issue. Is it by chance outdated?
    It might be wise to call them and explain what is going on, just to see if there might be an ingredient they know of that the adult food has that the puppy food doesn't.

puppies get all kinds of stuff while they are young, I concur with Ann, maybe wouldn't hurt to make sure it isn't a parasite.

good luck resolving the tummy upset:(