Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

HELP! SHELTIE DEMON BARKING

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by kayla, Mar 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kayla

kayla Forums Regular

Aug 1, 2017
    Hi y’all so I got my sheltie puppy last month and I call her a demon cause of her crazy puppy habits like biting and barking but she is my angel no doubt. I knew barking would be a tough point when getting a sheltie but I’ve tried what I feel like is everything and I’m failing hard. I did ignor and praise for quiet, I did treats, I did ignore, I tried muzzles and bark collars and nothing works. I wasn’t going to use the bark collar but her barking has gotten so terrible I was forced to use it but even on the highest setting she still barks !!!! I use the bark collar with training “quiet” doesn’t work. She barks cause she wants to be with me instead of her kennel and she barks when I leave the house. Please please help me I have neighbors

2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    You most certainly were not forced to use a bark collar. You chose to use it. Please stop using that immediately and consult a positive method trainer. You are doing far more harm than good. Those collars do not work and as you can see, they actually make the problem worse.

Hanne and ghggp like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Perhaps instead of focussing on her barking you should focus on getting her to like her crate so that your able to leave her in it. Couple of questions...how old is she and does she like being in the crate when your home? You may have some work cut out for you if you've been using a bark collar on her while she's been in the crate (or at any time...Shelties are such a sensitive breed that bark collars or any other form of negative training will do more harm than good), the crate should be a safe place and clearly it hasn't been for her. I'd start by tying a yummy treat (a Kong filled with frozen yogurt/peanut butter etc) to the inside of the crate and let her smell it so she enters the crate on her own...don't force her...she must want to go in. Continue to offer treats and praise while she's in the crate and over time she should enjoy being in it and her barking should lessen.

kayla, Jams and ghggp like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I agree on all accounts with never using a bark collar or any negative training on a Sheltie!

I can tell by your post you are beyond frustrated with your pup! Please make sure you contact your neighbors and explain to them you are in the training phase for your puppy! Go to obedience classes! It will most certainly help your pup gain self control and confidence!

Also, as previously recommended, get a good trainer that understands Shelties. I totally agree with boundaries. Allowing you pup be in the crate and enjoy it. The frozen yoghurt and peanut butter in a Kong is a great start to keep your pup occupied and happy!

I can not recommend obedience training enough! You might not seem to be her leader yet and that is key to them listening to you and understanding what pleases you!

Good luck! Keep us posted.

kayla likes this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Unfortunately, methods like bark collars, muzzles, and other negative training methods work in reverse with the Sheltie temperament and will cause them to bark more, and sometimes become fearful and more resistant to training. The most successful method with a Sheltie is positive training. This means rather than teaching her not to bark, you have to reward her for being quiet. It sounds like it's the same thing but it isn't.

This method is a process, but it works. There are other threads on here that explain it, and it would help to have a trainer who is familiar with Shelties (avoid ones that advocate negative training methods and punishment which does NOT work with Sheltie temperament!) Basically, you need high value treats that you only give her for this. When you anticipate that she's going to bark at something, or right after she starts, use a command word such as "quiet". The second she stops, give her a treat. She may start again immediately but continue to reward her when she stops and is quiet. The quiet periods will get longer and she will understand what you want.

I second making her crate a happy place for her. Give her a kong as Gloria suggested with frozen yogurt or peanut butter in it. Again, use treats that she only gets in her crate. Obedience classes would help with your overall training as well. Keep in mind that puppies bite when they're teething and this is normal. Use a stern "no" when she bites and stop playing. They do grow out of this.

Good luck and enjoy your puppy!

ghggp and kayla like this.
  6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Everyone has chimed in with good ideas so far. I wanted to add that you shouldn’t underestimate the power of a tired puppy. Mentally and physically tiring out your puppy is so important! You can do this with short training sessions, a puppy obedience class, running around in the yard for a bit, hiding treats around the house for her to find, puppy puzzles, the list is endless!

ghggp and kayla like this.