Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help! Will my Sheltie's hair grow back?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by smytht, Sep 8, 2012.

1. smytht

smytht Forums Novice

Sep 8, 2012
    Georiga
    My 5 year old female Sheltie needed surgery for a Lung Lobe Torsion. She is recovering great but the veterinary surgeon shaved her down to her bare skin all under her belly and all accross her back. I have heard that if you shave a Sheltie their hair never grows back properly. Does anyone know if this is really true? Her health is my #1 priority, but she deserves to be beautiful too! :confused2:

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    My Liam had his belly shaved in May because of urgent intestinal surgery. It is growing back and seems the same. My Emma had her chest shaved as a young dog for an echocardiogram. It grew back just fine, just took a while.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Of course she'll be beautiful again. But it takes time, good nutrition and stimulation.

I love Vibrant Pets skin and coat formula -- really helps with good coat.

4. Lynnel

Lynnel Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011
    Oceanport, NJ
    My Max has had his belly shaved three times in the last year for ultra sounds and it has grown back beautifully each time.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    My male had his front shaved for surgery three months ago - here I posted some pics of the progress, it does grow really slowly.

http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=15810&highlight=deska

One good thing is you can drape the fur - esp around the belly so you won't notice so much. Most people say looking from above they can't tell Deska has short hair. Of course its noticeable to us, we remember how beautiful their fur was.

6. dblock

dblock Forums Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011
    philadelphia
    Last summer(when I didn't know any better) I had Beau shaved for the summer. I thought it would help him cope with the heat(His hair was really thick)especially, since we like to take long walks. Took him to the groomer and came back and he looked like a mini Rhodesian Ridge back. I was stunned. first, I burst out laughing, and then I cried, and I said, "Beau, Momma, will never,ever do that to you again, I promise," He didn't really seem to mind, and with in three months his this hair came back. :yuckyuck

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We took Bitsy in for a puppy clip in May -- she has such a hugely thick, long coat that she suffers horribly in summer. This year, she was cool, comfortable -- not shaved, but considerably shortened -- and now her coat is growing back beautifully for winter.

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I don't think a belly shave is a problem for growing back. Similarly with legs (i.e. if they need to be shaved for an intraveneous). This kind of shaving is consistent with any spay for a female dog, so I don't expect you would have aproblem.

It could be a problem if the guard hair is shaved off the back and bum. My Bacca had ihs pants shaved by a groomer a few years ago, and I'm still waiting for it to grow back. I don't think it ever will.

9. frankienme

frankienme Forums Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Belly shave

Hi!

I had to have my Frankie's belly shaved in May for an ultrasound when he had a high liver enzyme count and gunk in his gall bladder. By the way, all, after one round of Denamarin and Actigal, he is fine now! :yes: yay! He didn't like the bare belly - though I thought it was so cute to see - but it has now grown in beautifully - so I wouldn't worry about the tum tum!

10. Lynnel

Lynnel Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011
    Oceanport, NJ
    Max's belly was shaved twice for ultra sound and again for bad matting, he grew back more beautiful then ever. Now it's his ears, he mats quick and bad, but his hair behind his hair has been growing back beautifully. Don't worry. Max has pancreatitus and something in his bladder, so please watch his liver too!!!