Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Helping another Sheltie

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Well, when it rains it pours! Got a message from my friend who does Collie rescue that a 12 year old Sheltie had hit the shelter. They had reached out to him thinking the breeds were similar and he might be able to help. He reached out to us, but since we are bringing a brand new baby into our house tomorrow, we can't foster her.

But we offered to transport her down to LA area where the Southland Sheltie Rescue group is, so we are going to be doing that probably over the weekend. Well, actually I will stay home with Miss Meadow and my DH will drive the dog down. Her name is Brandie, she is a beautiful sable girl. Turned into the shelter by the owner and they requested euthanasia because she was 12 and had a bladder infection. Threw her out like trash. :mad1: Makes my blood boil. The description from the shelter to our friends said she was sweet, shy and scared. Well of course she is! I do believe she is at least in a temp foster home now though because they tried to get all the dogs out of the shelter before the lockdown. I can't go volunteer now.

Anyway, crazy, huh? If anyone out there reading this might be interested in this pup, reach out to Southland Sheltie Rescue in California.

ghggp, Darren, Calliesmom and 4 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's absolutely horrible that they'd ask for the dog to be put down! I can't even imagine how someone could ask that...so incredibly selfish! Poor girl...she must be so traumatized being discarded like that:no:!

ghggp, Darren, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
  4. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    How anyone can do that to a loving dog is beyond me, it makes me even angrier that the poor thing is 12 and reached a time of life where it should be truely looked after. If only she was closer, I would have taken her in a hearbeat. This really makes me sad and angry, some people just suck! Hopefully karma comes back and bites those fools!

Amazing to see you stepping up like that Sharon :hugs

Hanne, Sharon7, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    There is a special place in Hell for people like that! Seniors should be cherished. Makes me so angry also!
    Thank goodness they said NO to putting her down!
    Thanks so much for reaching out to help! I hope she finds her forever home soon!

6. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    It breaks my heart when I hear of these stories. Shelties are so sensitive I hate thinking of one in a kennel alone and abandoned for no good reason. Thank goodness for rescue groups and transport volunteers like your family. And kudos to the shelter for reaching out to a breed rescue. I hope she finds a loving forever family unlike her previous people.

Darren, Sharon7 and Sandy in CT like this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Mission accomplished. I stayed home with Meadow and hubby drove Brandie down to LA. We have an older truck with a bench seat in the front so she rode up there (all 40+ pound of her :eek2:) next to him and he just petted her and talked to her the whole way, about a 2 hour drive. The head of the Sheltie rescue met him there, she was taking her immediately to a vet to see about UTI and general condition, like teeth, etc. She will be adopted to a great home or remain in foster with her. We made a donation to them and told them we are happy to help the rescue in the future. Hubby said she was really a nice dog, so curses on the fools who discarded her.

corbinam, Darren, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  8. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    I'm pleased to see Brandie made it and will be looked after, great job Sharon :hugs

Sharon7 likes this.