Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Here he is....

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Piper's mom, Feb 11, 2018 at 5:27 PM.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I went and saw the breeder today and got a chance to see the puppies...not much to see (only 12 days old) but they've gained quite a bit of weight and eyes are just opening. The one the breeder is holding is the only possible show quality male (the other has a fair bit of white on his back). In the photo with them sleeping my boy is the one with his head on the other pups back.

Attached Files:

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    he's the one with the heart?
    very cute:yes:

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I never noticed that but yes he is lol. I've honestly never held a pup that was that small...made me nervous.

4. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
  5. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I noticed the heart immediately... so heartwarming!

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    The breeder thinks I should wait until he's older to see if he's show quality or not, at this point she says it looks promising but I don't want to watch him grow and then not take him and then have to wait another 6 months or so until she has another litter. It's really too bad the other male has so much white on his rump (the other male is also quite a bit bigger already).
    I must say though, the importance of developing a relationship with a good breeder...after getting Piper from her and becoming friends with her over the past 3 years and her seeing all I've done with him with his obedience and going to dog shows and joining the local Sheltie club etc...she is now (and has been for awhile) my mentor. So for anyone who has dreams of one day breeding Shelties this is what you must do...find THAT breeder who will take the time to help you along...your first dog may not be top show quality but if you prove yourself to them your next one will be. I'm interested in possibly (when he's older) using him for stud if he turns out good and gets his championship in conformation and obedience so I talked to the breeder about that and she said she'd do an open agreement instead of a non breeding one because I've proven myself to her.
    Just wanted to get it out there because I've seen posts where someone wants to start breeding or getting a mentor etc. Don't expect the moon initially but if you work with a good breeder they will help you learn everything they know.
    And Piper's breeder is an amazing person and I'm so fortunate to have found her!

Jams, Hanne and Calliesmom like this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Very nice looking little boy! In terms of size, that does change as the litter grows. My Ruffles was the biggest in the litter and turned out to be small. Flurry was small until she was about 10 weeks old and had a growth spurt. You just can't evaluate them until they're at least 10 weeks old, and even then things can change. You are SO right about a mentor, and I'm very glad you have a good one! It's the single most important thing a new person to showing/breeding needs. I hope your little boy turns out...I hear you on the waiting! Been there, done that too!

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes on the size thing....:yes:
    Destin was not the smallest initially and even later but I'm pretty sure he ended up the smallest- which means he's actually in size:winkgrin:

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Jams

Jams Premium Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Oh, how sweet! I can't help but talk baby talk to the pictures. It's really great you can see him when he's so young! I'm so happy for you!

10. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Rocket was our smallest boy. He is now the largest dog in the house. My Mom's Bosco (Tara and Cooper's boy) was the one of the biggest boys. Now he's teeny. He is Annabelle sized.