Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Here we go again with a spooked dog! Plus colitis

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by DianeP, Nov 2, 2019.

1. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Just posting in case anybody can share about a similar experience. I posted a few weeks ago about Mindy developing a sudden fear of thunder at 10.5 months. We got through that experience OK for a couple weeks. In the last few weeks we’ve had bouts of diarrhea. They stop after a day with fasting and bland diet. We eliminated some fish chews we thought might be contributing to the problem. In addition to occasional diarrhea, Mindy is getting spooked hearing cars outside our condo. Mind you, we are on the third floor and the street is a good half block away. It’s the trucks in low gear or motorcycles that bother her. She hides in the bathroom or her crate and sometimes takes half the day to come out. Yesterday, she was at the groomer where she’s always done fine. She hid a lot when we came home. Then, diarrhea last night. I was up with her four times. This morning she is hiding. BUT outside she is happy and jumping around and playing.

Not sure what is going on here. Two separate issues?? Anxiety? Colitis related to stress and/or food?? we had a fecal done at vet last week and it was negative. Anybody else have experience with acute onset of fear? She will be one year in 8 days.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds as if her fear stage is in full blown mode!

ghggp and Wendy C like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I'm certainly not a vet but I do wonder whether the stress from her fear is triggering the diarrhea. I'm sure it's possible. I don't know what you're feeding but you might consider a limited ingredient diet for a while that will be easy on her system. Also I'd include a spoonful of pure, canned pumpkin in every meal. (not the pumpkin pie mix in a can)

The fear issue does sound pretty extreme. I'd talk to her breeder and find out if there are any other issues like this in her line. I'd also talk to your vet and see if s/he has any suggestions, medication or otherwise, especially if the fear is making her sick. I feel for you...I hope you can get a handle on this! Please keep us posted.

Hanne, ghggp, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  4. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Short update: Vet appointment for Monday. We picked up metronidazole and a probiotic today.

Anybody have experience with putting a young dog on Meds for anxiety? We’ve had other dogs on Meds for this with varying degrees of success. She is just so young and still developing...

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My Liam is also extremely anxious and at the same young age. I asked my vet about it and he was extremely reluctant to put a young dog on anxiety medication.

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I'd use meds as a last resort depending on your vet's advice. But there are some natural or holistic remedies that you can try. Unfortunately, those are trial and error. What works for one may not work for another. Still, they aren't chemical so at least they won't harm your dog. A popular one is Zylkene which you can buy over the counter.

I've used homeopathics with varying degrees of success. HomeoPet, also over the counter, is a holistic remedy that comes in drops for anxiety, storm stress, and others. I would try one of these before using chemical medications.

7. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
    I know you said she had diarrhea before but could this last bout be due to eating soap at the groomer?

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I understand your concern -- and desire to get the diarrhea under control! Our best wishes to Mindy for recovery and calm.

DianeP likes this.
  9. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Mindy’s stool is better, thank goodness. But, she is still spooky and hiding a lot. We went to the vet today and she checked out OK. They ran an antigen test for Giardia and that was negative. Decided to put her on a different probiotic called Calming Care which is specifically formulated for dogs with GI and stress issues. We also brought home the Adaptil Diffuser. Plan is to see how things go from there before either doing more GI intervention (I.e. food change) or considering meds for anxiety.

last night I listened to a very informative webinar through the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy about anxiety in dogs. Based on what I learned, I think we may be heading toward meds but I like starting conservatively. If you’ve never checked out the Fenzi site, please do... https://www.fenzidogsportsacademy.com/log-in many fantastic online classes and seminars about all kinds of training and behavior issues. Also, I learned about https://www.dacvb.org/ which is a site for the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists who are vets board certified in behavior issues. Dr. Jennifer Summerfield gave the webinar and was great. I like her blog too. http://www.drjensdogblog.com/about-me/

Sharon7 and Ann like this.