Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

He's getting it....

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Piper's mom, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Baby steps but I've got Finnie picking his bell up off the ground. It's a start!

corbinam, Sharon7, RikyR and 4 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    While it doesn't look like much, it took me several months to get him here. Once he's picking it up off the floor consistently I can make it more of a game and THEN the fun starts!
    As you can see I do give a correction when he doesn't 'take it', in the retrieve they must listen to you every time, no is not an option lol.

Ann, ghggp and Sandy in CT like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Yeah Finnie!!!! You got this!!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Absolutely outstanding Finnie! Good job!!!

Boy, Lisa, you are one patient trainer! Looking forward the success in the ring!

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Thank you Gloria. I really think this is the hardest thing to teach a Sheltie...as much as Finnie loves to carry a stick for a block the minute I present his bell in his eyes funs over lol.
    But this is definitely a good start, Piper wouldn't pick it up until he was almost 2! I was almost ready to give up at that point with him...so glad I didn't!

I was determined that Finnie wouldn't be another Piper lol. Baby steps though but he's learning bit by bit!

ghggp likes this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Good job Finnie! I think this would be a hard skill to teach my gang - well maybe not Eli, he does pick up a lot of toys in his mouth which my others never have.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Finnie also loves to carry a toy lol, but this is work haha! You try to make it as fun as possible but as we Sheltie owners know there's a fine line between fun and crazy Sheltie! Once he's picking it up all the time then I can make it more of a game but until then....

ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm curious--how did you start to train this? My guys all love food so much that the idea of picking up something instead of getting the cookie first just doesn't make sense to them.

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I started when he was young...everything was either take it (treat, toy etc), get it and fetch it (these are commands I use for the retrieve) and I started to teach 'take it' with just a piece of dowel and I'd place it in his mouth as I said take it and quickly remove (I say quickly because they REALLY don't like it and you don't want them to remember the unpleasantness) and quickly say YES and treat. As they start to understand the take then I move on to the hold and finally give it. You can practice with anything...a toy, dowel, even your finger (I do this sometimes).

As they master the take it/hold/give it i then start moving it closer to the ground as they have to learn how to take it on command. I do occasionally have to give a correction when I say 'take it' and he doesn't otherwise how else would he learn.
    Piper is a pro at this now and as much as he hated his dumbbell when we were training he loves it now!
    If I'm working with Finnie and I put the bell down Piper will quickly take it if I'm not paying attention to where he is lol.
    It's a slow process but as with everything practice practice practice lol.

ghggp and corbinam like this.
  10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I never had an issue getting mine to pick something up and hold and return, although plastic is harder than wood, (Deska would put anything in his mouth). I start with a round piece of cardboard (like the inside of a cling wrap roll), mostly because I teach how to retrieve a newspaper in class. But when I transfer the behaviours to a tug rope (which is encouraged in dogs sports) they have such gentle mouths they won't hold tight. Atm I've been using the same technique to get Tully to put her toys in a box, but it doesn't seem to work so well with high value objects.

Tell you one thing though, there'll be less food rewards and more clicker for the next puppy. Shelties are just too food obsessed.